Tripods used during hiking in Utah/Arizona parks

edgard_engelman

<p>I would like to know what tripod/head combinations you actually have used during hikes in these said parks, not necessarily the best technical combination in the shop, but what you have actually been able to schlepp down the canyons and back up !<br>

I use a Nikon D200, 18-70 Nikkor, and 50-150 and 70-300 Sigma lenses.<br>

I'm talking about hiking during several hours, during a day hike. Having spend there 3 summer weeks, twice, in 2007 and 2008, I am familiar with the conditions in these parks during the summer period.</p>

<p>I admit to not taking one as I had a 30lb backpack most of the time. However, I had modified my walking stick to have a tripod screw on the top of it. All in all it was fine for a small P&S, but not really stable enough for my regular DSLR, so most of those shots were without benefit of the tripod.</p>

<p>I lug a Manfrotto 055XPROB w/ a 486RC2 ballhead, about 7 pounds all told. On my back is about 25 pounds of gear, water, a bit of food just in case I get absorbed and wander around too long... I just logged several days in Yellowstone, Devils Tower, and The Tetons last week. It was great fun but I will be lobbying the appropriate state assemblies to include more oxygen in their air for next time... ;)<br>

In my backpack you will find an EOS 30D, EOS3 backup body, 24 - 70 F2.8, a 70 - 200 F4, a 60 EF-S Macro and a Nifty Fifty. You will also find film, remote, spare batteries, compass, manuals for the two bodies, filters, lens hoods, etc.<br>

Far too soon I will be 55 years old and at 5-11 and 210 pounds there is a lot of me to haul around! I do try to work out, ride a bike whenever possible, etc. My day job is in a very large building so I usually walk about five miles per day and this helps a lot.<br>

After lugging all this stuff around for hours in the heat and up / down hills I get stiff and sore but am usually all better after a good nights rest. YMMV though.</p>