Lens and Camera for Model Photography

navin_sher

<p>Hi,<br>

I am student and stepping into Model photography. Need to buy camera and lens under $700. I know it is very less amount to buy a DSLR camera and lens.<br>

Could you please suggest me what lens I should buy and camera.<br>

Here are some of cameras and lens I have looked into. <strong>Please Guide me</strong><br>

1. Nikon D60 Digital SLR Camera + 18-105mm AF-S DX VR Nikkor Lens<br>

2. Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Digital SLR Camera + Sony 18-70mm Zoom Lens<br>

3. Olympus Evolt E-520 Digital SLR Camera Body + Olympus Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Digital Zoom Lens + Olympus Zuiko 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Digital Zoom Lens <br>

<br /> Thanks</p>

<p>By models do you mean architectural models, human models, toys -such as trains, planes, ships, cars? Your answer can help us guide you in your choice of equipment. Understand in almost any case you will need to consider a tripod and lighting equipment, which doesn't appear in your budget.</p>

<p>Navin, I wish I could offer a camera / lens solution that would make you a great photographer but it doesn't work like that. I'm sure all of the above options will take a great portrait if you know what you are doing.</p>

<p>I would suggest finding a store and actually spend a bit of time with them. Hold them, fire off a few test shots. Often, things like size of viewfinder or LCD screen or weight of camera can be the difference between what is right and wrong for you. </p>

<p>1D 4.15 M/P WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (CF CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA $500<br>

Canon 50mm 1.8 $177<br>

New Canon 85 mm f/1.8 USM EF Lens $379<br>

I would try to find an used 85mm for less money.<br>

Can't go wrong with this set up or get used 20D and 50 mm.</p>

How about the Canon Rebel XSi with 18-55 IS kit lens? It's just around that much, brand new at Adorama (assuming you are in the US). Or consider getting a used XTi with the 18-55 IS kit lens and with the savings, add a Canon EF 50 f/1.8 for around 90USD new. This lens is superb value for money. I shoot just about all my portraits with it and it sees plenty of action during my model shoots too.

<p>I took this picture with an Olympus E10. It has a 4MP sensor, 1 focus point. It was was launched in 2000 or 2001. You could probably pick one up for $50 at a yard sale now. All three cameras you listed are light years ahead of the E10. Still, it's not bad portrait right?</p><div>00TT8N-137901584.thumb.jpg.137d917d0a1945170771e8c48a9afb06.jpg</div>

<p>I was looking these cameras and lens....Please suggest..Is this is the right choice or something else need to add. And I am fine with used one. (As I know my budget is not good :( <br>

These below are used one cameras and Lens on amazon.<br>

1. Olympus Evolt E510 10MP Digital SLR Camera with CCD Shift Image Stabilization and 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Zuiko Lenses (Price $ 500)<br>

2. Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Price $ 587)</p>

<p>Hi Navin, what I have tried to explain in my last post is either will be fine. It's not the camera that makes the portrait, it's the man holding the camera. Of the two you list above, I think the Olympus is the best deal (since you're getting a wider choice of lenses).</p>

Navin, an important point to note is that you need to plan longer term for a camera 'system,' not just a camera and lens, while also factoring in accessories available, after-sales support, etc. For that reason, even though the Olympus is a good camera, I think it will be easier to build a system (of lenses, flashes, etc), around the Canon option. In addition, CCD sensors such as the one on the Olympus are known for not having the best performance at higher ISOs (sensitivities) when compared to the Canon CMOS sensor.

<p>There are more lenses available, more service outlets worldwide (http://www.canon.co.in) and generally a wider array of accessories for Canon. Given that you are going back to India, this will be important for the future. So I would get the XSi with 18-55 IS kit lens, and definitely add the 50 f/1.8 (around 100USD new at B&H) for close-up portraits and low-light photography. I've just cheched Craigslist (Seattle) and found this deal: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pho/1187040901.html

<p>If you can stretch your cash a bit further, I would also try and get a hotshoe flash. Maybe a used Canon Speedlite 550EX or 420EX.

<p>Hope this info helps you make a decision...

<p>Thanks.<br>

You are very much true as I am going back to India. In that case Canon is good option.<br>

Well I looked into this "<a rel="nofollow" href="http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pho/1187040901.html" target="_blank">http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/pho/1187040901.html</a> " Nice stuff.<br>

And about "Speedlite 550EX or 420EX". Would be great to know abt that also. Any how I need to buy till this week end.</p>

<p>Virtually any camera can be used to make good pictures of virtually any subject. But I highly recommend sticking with either Nikon or Canon. They are the two most popular brands worldwide and are the easiest to get serviced and the easiest to find lenses and accessories for. Rather than buying a used camera with no guarantee off Craig'sList I would stick with a major reputable camera store like <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com">www.bhphotovideo.com</a> or <a href="http://www.adorama.com">www.adorama.com</a></p>

I agree with Craig about purchasing from a reputable online dealer whenever possible. The two listed above sometimes have used equipment for sale in good condition, but then again you need to factor in shipping time. If you're in a hurry, you might be better off going to a local store like <b>Glazer's Camera</b> in Seattle. I bought my 50 f/1.8 there. The downside is of course having to pay the sales tax :)

<p>If the Amazon deal you mentioned comes with a guarantee, perhaps it's your best bet, given your budget and time constraints.

<p>Regarding flash, the XSi has a built in pop-up flash, but it doesn't produce the most flattering photos (because it is on the camera axis), it will drain your battery faster and it has very limited range. A hot-shoe flash (like the older 420EX or 550EX) will give you a lot more versatility. Just have a look at www.planetneil.com/tangents, which is an excellent learning resource for the creative use of flash. More often than not, a pop-up flash as on the XSi is used only as a last resort, a backup if your main flash fails or is not available. Advantages of hot-shoe flash are that you can bounce it to get more directional lighting (off the main camera axis), diffuse it with a variety of flash modifiers (see http://photo-tips-online.com/review/best-flash-diffuser/) and generally much better results if used appropriately. The older 420EX and 550EX as well as the newer 430EX and 580EX (which are even more advanced; more accurate flash firing in sync with your camera and lens), would give you vastly more creative options for your photography. Sigma and Vivitar also make dedicated flashes for Canon. If you can get one, they are generally cheaper than the Canon equivalents. I do not know the relevant model numbers though.

<p>All the best :)

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thanks a lot to all of you guys for usefull suggestions<br>

Finally I bought this camara :<br>

<strong>Canon Digital Rebel XSi 12.2MP Digital SLR Camera (Black)</strong> + Canon 18-55mm IS Lens + Tamron 70-300mm Di LD Macro Lens for Canon EOS</p>

• 3 weeks later...