Number Please: Calling Ricoh Five-One-Nine

<p>JDM- when you consider that users of classics today are using these classics in often less than optimum condition, how could anyone not feel complimented. Well, anyway I feel complimented. I also had this thought- someone moving up from a box camera to a Ricoh 500/519, Yashica Minister, Konica III or other classic RF would most of the time get much better pictures than with the old Brownie or other box camera. The pictures might seem bad to all of us, but to someone who used a simple camera, the pictures might look fantastic. WHen my family owned a camera shop I usually kept my suggestions to myself when a customer showed me his/her pictures unless they asked me how they could do better. I'll admit, over the years I had to struggle with this a bit. We had a lady who had a Pocket Instamatic 10 and she couldn't understand why she couldn't get as good a picture as the shiny Canon AE-1 program sitting in the showcase. Another customer filmed part of his vacation with his Super 8 movie camera turned sideways because he thought if verticals were good for still pics, they would really be great for movies! At least I taught school five days a week so I could keep my sanity.</p>

<p><strong>Ralf-</strong> I'm glad you like the photos. None of these pictures show the aux lenses. I did test them however and found them to be of very good quality. They don't add that great a range, about a 65mm and 35mm but it's better than nothing. No light fall off in the corners and sharp. They retain the f/1.9 speed but stopping down a couple of stops really improved things. Of course, one has to focus on the subject and then recalculate the focus via the scale as written on the aux lens barrel. This is fine for static subjects but a bit too fumbly when shooting things that move. The fumbly part is partly due to my lack of experience using them. The Auto-up is another surprise in it's robust built quality and sharp images (a doublet I think). The min focus distance is approx 3 ft. The Auto Up cuts that distance in half.<br>

<strong>Mihai-</strong> Thanks for your good feedback. It's good to know that others may get useful information and enjoyment from these posts. I have learned much here and it feels good to be able to contribute, in a small way, something back.<br>

<strong>JDM-</strong> Understood and thanks!</p>

<p>AWESOME! Like all the pixs. and the camera as well! Ricoh stuff is often underrated IMO. I have inexpensive Ricoh SLR with standard Rikenon 50/f2 - but this lens gives extremely smooth bokeh. Thanks for your wonderful post...</p>

<p>Great writeup and photos. This series of cameras is excellent, the trigger wind is superb, and represents once again how quickly the Japanese camera industry-while respecting its legacy-improved on the viewfinder and rangefinder of German cameras, even for consumer grade cameras. That one of the reasons the vintage, before-auto exposure Japanese RFs are such a pleasure to use, including the Konicas and even Petris.</p>

• 1 year later...