Salton Sea Help Needed

j. caputo

<p>Good Morning everyone,<br>

I am only about 1-1/2 hours from the north tip of the Salton Sea in southern California. I shoot digital Canon 5D and also getting started with 4x5 Large Formatt. I want to take a day trip to the salton sea tomorrow and was wondering if any of you who have shot here can give me some advise? The "Do's & Dont's".. Are there any dangers such as wildlife, people, angry residents who hate photographers, ect.. Is there a part of the coast that is more common for photographers? Tips on special gear to bring alond due to specic conditions I may encounter? I appreciate all your help.</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Jimmy</p>

<p>In southern California, rattlesnakes are always an issue. They are only active in the early morning and late evenings/early night. During the day they are hiding under rocks and in dark cool places. So, don't go reaching into holes are around corners if you can't see what's there. Scorpions and some spiders are there also. But, I can't remember actually seeing any nasty animals (except an angry dog or two) in all the times I've been there. But born and raised in So. Cal., I'm always on the lookout for them.</p>

<p>Most people will leave you alone. They are used to photographers coming down there and will either ignore you or will politely wave and say hi. The occasional transient inside an abandoned building you are shooting might get upset. They usually will yell at you, that's about it.</p>

<p>If you coming from the north, the North Shore Marina is nice. Lot of abandoned structures/playground/marina area. By now, probably a lot of dead fish on shore. (Be prepared for the stink)</p>

<p>Further south along the east side is Bombay Beach-another nice area with some interesting decaying structures. Further south, are the Mud Volcanos and Mud Pots. They also are probably pretty dry now and not too terribly photogenic. Mid-spring is usually the best for these.</p>

<p>Also, on a completely different note is Salvation Mountain in Niland (Southeast of Bombay Beach) Leonard, the man who is making it is sometimes there. Very nice guy, and interesting is a somewhat strange way. Only real problem is that he does like to talk a lot and can delay you. Go to this website for more information if you are interested.</p>

<p>http://www.salvationmountain.us/menu.html</p>

<p>Final thing-IT IS HOT AND DRY. Bring a lot of water and sunscreen. And then bring some more water.</p>

<p>Have fun and happy shooting.</p>