200mm Macro tripod mount

scott_paris4

<p>Perhaps others may have a solution, but I don't have any great news for you. </p>

<p>There are older discussions about this, either in the archives here or on the Yahoo Canon FD forum; you might have a look at the old threads. I don't remember the specific conclusions drawn from them. I don't believe that the collar for the earlier breechlock lenses, such as the 300/5.6, will fit. But the potential good news is that all the New FD (FDn) lenses use the same collar, such as the 300/4 and 400/4.5. Perhaps a well-used or damaged lens might eventually serve as a donor.</p>

<p>It's extremely rare to find the tripod collar for sale alone. I can only remember a couple of instances since I started surfing for FD equipment a number of years ago.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Alan has pretty much nailed it. Finding one loose is going to be near impossible. Might be a good reason to buy a 400mm f4.5 nFD or 300mm f4.0L and share the collar they pop off very easy to swap. I use mine with a strip of 4-5oz Oak tooling leather as a collar for my 2XB when I have it behind my 200mm f2.8 as a compact 400mm.</p>

<p>Since I am one of the more fortunate since I have the 200mm macro and its collar, here is a tip.<br>

Make yourself a vee block from a piece of hard wood -- beech is ideal. Drill and tap a 1/4 inch 20 or a 3/8 16 TPI thread in the bottom to take a tripod thread. Use a flange on the thread of at least 1 inch dia. Staple a velcro strap of about 1 inch wide to the wood block so that it wraps around. It is as effective as the real mcoy. If you really want to get fancy get yourself a metal bushing</p>

<p>Having answered that. I now have a question:</p>

<p>I have a slew of FD Breech lock lenses ( the said macro is not a breech lock but its successor ) which are sitting at the back of the cupboard doing nowt since I have long gone over to digital. I want to use the macro on a non Canon ( heavens forbid ) and have made an adaptor for the newcomer's flange. The old FDs allow me to use them in manual mode , IE I can select the aperture for using the new boy in the aperture priority mode, but I have mislaid the owners manual for the 200m. and can't figure out how to do it. and its been a long time since I used my F1. . Can this be done and how. ?</p>

<p>It is possible to find collars for old FD lenses out there. I may be lucky but I got one for my 85-300 s.s.c, off ebay, a couple of weeks after getting the lens. It did have to travel from california to the UK, I now just need a series IX to protect the front element.</p>

<p>I couldn't find one for my new FD 85-300mm Zoom. I had to resort to buying another zoom to get one with a collar! Now I have to sell the extra zoom lens, both came with cases, but it's still yet another item i have to dispose of likely at a loss. I didn't know that the 200mm Macro collar would fit - I never thought of even checking, but then again a new Macro FD 200mm F4 would probably cost me more than that 2nd 85-300mm zoom!!!</p>