What would you bring? A little different "Film vs Digital" Question

bms

<blockquote>

<p>Trust me, I've tried shooting in the classical philosophy (basic rangefinder, Tri-X) out of a sense of romance, and experienced all the limitations and frustrations they did back then when they were FANTASIZING about equipment like the D700 :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So true!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Trust me, I've tried shooting in the classical philosophy (basic rangefinder, Tri-X) out of a sense of romance, and experienced all the limitations and frustrations they did back then when they were FANTASIZING about equipment like the D700 :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So true? I think not. “There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” Stick with the Leica and upgrade to faster glass.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>...people will make fun of the low megapixel images from such a primitive camera.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>They're already doing that. Those people are usually known as dolts. The equivalent to those people can be found in museums scrutinizing Monet's brushwork.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>They're already doing that. Those people are usually known as dolts. The equivalent to those people can be found in museums scrutinizing Monet's brushwork.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree that making fun of older cameras and older resoluton images is dumb, but it is going to be a fact of life for a while. "What an amazing photograph, that must be some camera!" is another little nugget.</p>

<p>I shoot film and like the Contax AX as the AX lets me get away with shooting handheld at low speeds wth old-fashioned IS (inertial stabalization) and has the magic macro setting.</p>

<p>The GH-1 is an interesting option - unfortunately, it is not available yet.<br>

I value your opinions, good arguments on both sides. I am leaning towards a nostalgia trip, Leica M, and a P&S in my back pocket. I think I can fir the outfit in a small camera bag. Probably will add a flash, just in case....</p>

<p>Maybe I can convince my wife to take her D60 and sneak a few primes in her bag :)</p>

<p>Apart from nostalgia/romance (I AM going back 'home' after all), right now I think the Leica will me more inconspicuous.</p>

<p>Anyway we are packing tomorrow, driving to NY on Monday, so I guess I have a few hours more to agonize over it :)</p>

<p>Glad you found your answer.</p>

<p>By the way, regardless of the technology the images originated from, you'll be much more satisfied if they get printed and not just reside on a hard drive. Not all of my prints end up supersized on the wall, but many go into nice coffee table books from Blurb, for less than getting about three rolls developed and printed. And no scanning...</p>

<p>It's a great way to beat obsolescence.</p>