645 for photography student?

<p>Second the recommendation for the leaf shutter lens. Both Pentax and Mamiya offer models for their 645 cameras. The pc socket is on the lens and the lens shutter is cocked separately. Built in shutter in lens goes to 1/500 second so you can use fill flash even with an ISO 400 film in daylight. I have the 70mm leaf shutter lens for my Mamiya 645E's.</p>

<p>Matthew, I was in same situation as you are about two years ago. I purchased a Pentax 645, but ended up selling it for a Mamiya 645 Pro TL because of the ability to change film backs. I found this to be a big advantage of the Mamiya over the Pentax. I now have two Mamiya 645 Pro TL's and don't regret my decision. The total price of the Mamiya will probably be a bit more than a similar Pentax because of all the additional parts that you will need to make a functional 645 camera, but I really like the picture quality and the way camera feels in my hand.<br>

I use an Epson 700 Scanner to scan my negatives and the prints that I make look great to the naked eye. I'm not a professional, but I like the 645 format. I also have a Pentax 35mm digital when I want something quick.</p>

<p>That is the one con of the Pentax system, they use inserts rather than backs.</p>

<p>Of course inserts cost less, and take up less space. <br /> <br /> <br /> However, changing film mid roll is also nice. I won't lie, even as little as I've used the system I'd have loved to been able to go from Provia to B&W, but at the same time, I really like the compactness of the 645N. Nothing in life is free, and all camera systems are about compromises.</p>

<p>You haven't said what you're using in 35mm at the moment...a modern AF camera with lots of electronica, or a largely mechanical classic? If you are looking for the 645 equivalent of a Nikon F3, Pentax LX, Minolta XK or Canon F1 - you need a Mamiya 645 1000s. Get both a WLF (waist level finder) and the excellent PD prism with accurate silicon metering down to almost darkness. It will take any Mamiya 645 lens ever made and the lens range is the widest (and fastest) of all medium format systems.</p>

<p>The prices on used Mamiya 645 lenses are very reasonable. Also, don't overlook the 80mm f4 macro. Not much more expensive than the standard 80mm f2.8. Leaf shutter lenses are also offered in several focal lengths. I have it in 70mm, but it is also available in 150mm and in wide angle (either 50 or 55, I think.) And a leaf shutter lens can also be used as a regular lens with the camera's focal plane shutter.</p>

<p>Ray, to answer your question, my 35mm body right now is a Canon A-1. It's from the beginning of the electronic takeover in cameras, so it has Av and TV AE, but no AF or any of the other goodies like that. I do use the aperture priority on my A-1, and I wouldn't mind having on a MF body, but any other automations would be unnecessary for me. The Mamiya bodies are very attractive for what I'm looking for. I think my choice might ultimately come down to which one I can get the best deal on.</p>