Apprenticeship

<p>I am a student, currently in high school and due to graduate this june. I am extremely interested in photography and was wondering whether there was such thing as an apprenticeship with an accomplished photographer that a aspiring photographer could take, rather than spending exorbitant amounts of money on school? Would it be paid, unpaid? Is this the best way to take to become a professional, paid photographer? Or should i be looking into school and if so which schools? I am taking a year off to work things out and figure out what i should do and so some helpful advice would be much appreciated!<br>

Thanks <br>

Joel</p>

<p>Joel<br>

The answers to your inquiry can vary depending on the experiences of those giving their experiences.<br>

I think that both would be ideal... PERSONALLY, I would go to school AND try to find someone willing to take me under his/her wing.... It would be a ACCOMPLISHED PHOTOGRAPHER... ? probably yes. probably do not... Consider this issue.. Why do you think that a ACCOMPLISHED PHOTOGRAPHER would like to take time for you?<br>

I am not saying that it is not possible... I am just asking questions to put your brain to work a little bit... A school has its own advantages... You may be able to make contacts... (faculties and staff may have "contacts" that may be willing to share with a young and hard-worker apprentice!). You will have a formal education, that is not indispensable but will give you a structured basement of knowledge... Of course, NATIVE talent is important... but AMBITION and deep desire to learn can be as important as talent to succeed!<br>

The best way to be a professional is learning other skills than photography, as business management, advertising, self promotion... CONSISTENT RESULTS in your work, responsibility... I am not a professional because I do not make my income with photography, but I take advantage of any incoming opportunities... I have read in the business forum ( I would invite you to sign to receive the daily updates) that become a successful professional photographer can be as 80-90 % of business and self promotion work and 10% behind the camera... meaning that you spend more time among the other parts of the business than actually making photographs...<br>

How much to pay? depends on your possibilities, of course.... !<br>

I hope I have helped<br>

Best<br>

JC</p>

<p>Joel,<br>

Most colleges, JC's and universities have work experience and/or independent studies courses in photography. You and your professors could probably make an arrangement with professionals in the area. I'm sure if you're persistent enough, you just may be able to develop an apprenticeship program opportunity yourself. <br>

I'd start with the colleges in your area or those you may be interested in, and see what learning opportunities are there. If you have an apprenticeship standards board or something similar in your area, check with them and see how they develop their programs, or if they've developed photography apprenticeships in the past.<br>

Here in California, there is an apprenticeship standards board. <a href="http://www.dir.ca.gov/das/das.html">http://www.dir.ca.gov/das/das.html</a> <br>

You might also want to check with DOL: <a href="http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/training/apprenticeship.htm">http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/training/apprenticeship.htm</a><br>

In my experience working with veterans to develop on the job training programs, it seems past trends were to market and sell yourself with one of these organizations and work with them to develop a personalized training program. Sounds like a lot of work but you're young and eager, so keep at it. Talk to your school counselor. Explain what you're trying to do and enlist their aid to accomplish your goal. <br>

Good Luck!</p>

<p> </p>