Wedding photographers appearance

chad_hoelzel1

<p>As soon as you enter the church with your camera around your neck you are representing an esteem profession. You are representing thousands of photogs. Photography IS a profession as much as law, banking, medicine, ect. Dark business attire is always in good taste. I have shot many a wedding and worked up a good sweat wearing bulky suits, but my profession came first NOT my comfort. Wedding photography today is no different than the past only the gear has changed. If you are shooting digital you need one camera and a 18-200 lens. I would go to the church in advance of the service and shoot some trial shots to see if the lens and flash are sufficent.</p>

<p>No offense, but I don't see photographers in the same category as lawyers, bankers, and doctors! What percentage of photographers have formal degrees, let alone masters or doctoral degrees LOL. *I have a masters in education by the way :)<br>

My personal opinion is that it depends on your situation. I prefer to work in what is comfortable. All black at a summer beach wedding is ridiculous. Sportcoats or tuxes, really? I'd rather not sweat a gallon or be asked to take a drink order. I've been known to lay on the floor, dive into the sand, wade into the ocean, or climb onto a lifeguard chair to get the shot I want- that's what my clients want, not for me to limit what I do because I'm not dressed for the part.<br>

I've been told to wear shorts to weddings and have. Khakis and a dress shirt are pretty standard for me. With Memorial Day here, I'll be able to wear my linen shirts again. Anyone who thinks we have to suffer to be professional is mistaken. We're professional by our actions and our photos- not because we wear a tie. Used car salesmen wear jackets and ties and look at their percieved professionalism.</p>

<p>I always wear a black bat suit and shoot from the rafters...with a tie of course to represent and look professional.......kidding....I dress in gray slacks, black polo and good black leather slip on shoes with insoles. I also wear a belt with a few lens cases. When the question comes up at the initial consultation about what I will be wearing i usually tell the B&G bermuda shorts and suntan lotion and see how they react...so far no takers! :) I tell them I will be dressing business casual/comfortably. We do all day wedding photography so I make a point to tell the B&G that we need to be able to be comfortable. I have never had a bride tell me that she wants me in a suit or given me a dress code to abide by. I have shot several weddings, both indoors and outdoors, elegant and laid back and I have never had anyone say something to me about what I was wearing. I say go with a clean look and dress comfortably. As far as taking one lens with you, well, that all depends on how you shoot. If you want to use a 3.5-5.6 lens with a flash in a dark church then that is all you but if you have a range of 2.8 lenses that need to be swapped out occasionally then i don't see a problem with wearing the gear that will set you up to be successful and get the shot that is going to show off your talent. Don't limit yourself creatively just for the sake of "professionalism". Just my two cents. </p>

<p>Hal I disagree about comparing myself to laywers, doctors, etc. I'm going to wear what looks appropriat but most importantly I'm going to wear what keeps me comfortable enough to move, etc. so I can take the pictures I was paid for. My main reason for the post wasn't what clothes to wear but if I should use the Lowepro belt and lens cases because I had no where to put my gear.<br>

On a side note my gear is: 20D, 40D, 1VHS (few roles of film for wide angle), 2X 550EX, 580 II, CP-E3/CP-E4 (battery packs), 17-40 F4L, 28-70 F2.8, 50mm F1.8, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 IS and dripods. I feel reasonably comfident with my latest upgrades to get the job done.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As soon as you enter the church with your camera around your neck you are representing an esteem profession. You are representing thousands of photogs. Photography IS a profession as much as law, banking, medicine</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? You can become a photographer just by buying a camera. I don't think anyone ever became a doctor just by buying a stethoscope :-)</p>

<p>You're not representing thousands of other photographers. That's a very strange notion. The only person you're ever representing is yourself.</p>

<p>But it's worth taking it seriously and thinking about the image you're projecting because weddings are full of future clients. If you get your image and product right it can be a strong source of business. I haven't had to advertise in three years - many of my clients are guests or friends of guests from previous weddings.</p>

<p>BTW, Chad - I strongly suggest you rationalise some of your kit. You'd do well keeping only what you need on your person, with the rest locked in the car for contingency.</p>

<p>I've had several officiators look me up and down, and say something to the effect of "I like the way you're dressed. You can do anything you want, just try not to blind me", and then go on to describe how they make the guys wearing t-shirts, sandals, and photo vests stand in the back.</p>

<p> </p>

<p><em><strong>You're not representing thousands of other photographers. That's a very strange notion. The only person you're ever representing is yourself.</strong> </em></p>

<p>Neil, I'm sorry but your wrong. I lost count of how many venues have changed their rules regarding photographers and photography during the ceremony because of just ONE photographer. All it takes is just ONE photographers to close down the ceremony for every single photographer who comes after the ONE photographer who decided to either act and/or dress like a buffoon.</p>

<p>Chris, I respectfully disagree. I've been to plenty of venues where the officiant had preconceptions about what they would permit. It's never taken more than a couple of minutes of conversation for them to change their minds. For the simple reason I'm representing myself - not thousands of other photographers - and prefer to be judged that way.</p>

<p>Neil, I am sure that your not saying your batting 100% with your ability to change officiant minds. We too have had limited success in that regard as well but I think you've also proved my point. How many photographers who came after you received relaxed restrictions based on your conduct? I know for certain of 2 venues who have changed their rules because we were able to convince them to give us a chance, which benefited one photographer, a friend, who shot at one the following week. He told us specifically that we were the reason for their change and he had better not screw it up, which he didn't. The ONE photographer thing works both ways but at the end of the day, we're all lumped together as wedding photographers.</p>

<p>"Probably due to my juggling act, this is why photographers have to shoot in the back of that church now!"<br>

So this is all your fault eh Bob? Dogpile on Bob everybody! LOL<br>

I remember when I used to use a Fong lightsphere on my flash. I was standing right next to the altar in a very live acoustic church, flash was still on camera from the processional. Right in the middle of the ceremony the old Fong Dong fell off and rolled down the steps. Gulp! That was so embarrassing. I don't use a flash much even for processionals anymore, but if I do, it sure isn't going to have one of those things on it.</p>

<p>Lou</p>

<p>Yeah I bring all that. You never know when something will fail or what situation your shooting in. Last wedding and this one I didn't see the venue ahead of time due to their distance. For example the B&G want the formals out and around the farm where the groom grew up. If it rains I might need to move the formals into a barn or into the reception hall. That would require some more light to look good and brighter lenses. I just can't tell what is going to happen ahead of time so lots of gear in this situation is good.</p>