Going to Europe...Need a Tripod

danielhundley

<p>I will be traveling to Europe and need a travel tripod. Firstly I already have a tripod but it folds to be 29" in length and then another 4" for the head for a total of 33" (That’s almost 3' long!) So I am in need of a traveling tripod. Need one that holds a professional DSLR and a lens that will hold a 200mm f/2.8 (but would like one that holds more just in case). I am 5'6 / 5'7 / 5'8 and don’t want to have back aches bending over to look in the viewfinder, though I don’t want to have back aches carrying a heavy tripod around. I have looked at Gitzo's GT1541T traveler and Gitzo's GK2580TQR traveler tripod and both are really nice and fold up small: 16.1" and 16.9" respectably. (They hold around 16 lbs). Can anyone recommend any other brands/products similar to these that are preferably less expensive? I have also looked into the free standing monopods and they might be the option but don't go to the ground very low. Well anyway thanks in advance.<br>

-Dan-</p>

<p>I have a Manfrotto tripod, which I have bought recently (before my last trip somewhere, that is), a 7322 YB. It's lightweight reinforced aluminium (1100 g), extremely compact (the regular height is 3' (145 cm) and with the middle piece higher out, I can work comfortably at my 1.73 height, but it takes up to 16 lbs. The price is OK, around 145 EUR (for Germany) including a quick-release ballhead. You can flip out the legs sideways, which allows you to work at minimum heights, and take out the middle piece to reverse it downwards.<br>

I was really surprised that, despite its lightweight, it took my huge camera and lens without swaying - I work with a D700 and my max lens is the 80-400. Also, with its lenght it's likely to fit into smaller trolleys, so you can easily pack it into your regular luggage - I know that tripods are not much liked as carry-on.</p>

<p>Monika</p>

<p>I just went thru this process...I have a Manfrotto 055MF3 carbon fiber tripod that's too big for travel, and a Slik 340DX that's too wimpy for my 5D with battery grip. My biggest lens is Canon's 24-105. I did lots of research and basically came down the the two tripods you mentioned, plus the Velbon El Carmagne 640a. It's also carbon fiber. </p>

<p>I went with the Velbon, but kept everything in case I need to send it back. I haven't had time to use it much yet, but so far I don't think I need to worry. The Velbon is just over 20" folded, which works for me. I'm 6'1", and with the legs extended but the column down, I only have to bend over a little to look in the 5D's viewfinder. The tripod seems to be very well made and very stable.</p>

<p>At 1/2 the price of the Gitzo's, I think I made a good choice (for me at least). I have a hard time believing either of the Gitzo's would be that much of an improvement, especially given that I don't use long lenses. The Velbon's upper leg segment is the same diameter as my 055MF3's, which means the smallest segment is not pencil-thin as the smaller Gitzo's seems to be. Not having handled the Gitzo's, but from what I know about what makes a tripod stable, I'd guess the Velbon is between the two Gitzo's in stability.</p>

<p>I'm going through the same search myself (I have a Canon 5D MII, w/70-200f/4) . I've eliminated the Gitzo on price. I've narrowed it down to the Velbon Ultra Luxi L, Velbon 640 (or maybe the 530 - longer folded dimension, but good price at Best Buy), the Manfrotto magfiber. Maybe the Slik Pro EZ and maybe the Indura (not sure how those leg locks work)<br>

I often take a spotting scope so the tripod does double duty and I need a panning head as well, which complicates the search a little.<br>

I also don't want the individual leg twists that take forever and a day to set up. <br>

Still looking !!!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have traveled with a variety of Gitzo tripods with four leg sections. This reduces the folded length by about 25% for the same height as a 3 section tripod without a significant loss of stiffness. My GT-3540LS is only 24" long when folded (plus the head), making it easy to carry by hand, a shoulder strap or lashed to a backpack. Gitzo tripods are pricey, but built to last forever.</p>

<p>Most of the time I use just two of the three leg extensions, so the set up time is the same. The new "G-Lock" collars are just as fast to use as clamps, but quieter and more reliable. The older twist-style collars are nearly as fast if you do things in the right order.</p>

<p>I put an RRS plate on my spotting scope so it can be used with a ball head.</p>