JPG output from Photoshop unsaturated - help!

<p>Hello everyone!</p>

<p> Recently formatted the computer and now JPGs from photoshop don't match saturation.</p>

<p>Using Photoshop CS2. When no image is open, under Edit>Color Settings, these are the settings:</p>

<p>Settings: Custom</p>

<p>WORKING SPACES<br>

RGB: sRGB IE...<br>

CMYK: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2<br>

Gray: Dot Gain 20%<br>

Spot: Dot Gain 20%</p>

<p>COLOR MANAGEMENT POLOCIES<br>

RGB: Convert to Working RGB<br>

CMYK: Preserve Embedded Profiles<br>

Gray: Preserve Embedded Profiles</p>

<p>ask when opening checked for all.</p>

<p>CONVERSION OPTIONS<br>

Engine: Adobe (ACE)<br>

Intent: Perceptual<br>

Use black point compensation is checked.<br>

Use dither is checked.</p>

<p>(if you've read this far, thank you!)</p>

<p>I shoot in RAW (nikon) and edit primarily in Lightroom. When neccessary, I will right click an image and choose Edit>Edit in Photoshop CS2.<br>

When saving in CS2, I click "Save As", change to JPG, and I keep the ICC Profile: sRGB IE... selected.</p>

<p>When I then view the saved JPG in a browser or Windows Picture Viewer, the colors are off.</p>

<p>At first I thought it was a Adobe/sRGB problem, but as you can see, I don't have Adobe selected. Does anyone know how to fix this, so output for web looks good?</p>

<p>THANK YOU!</p>

<p>Remove all color management-related options and turn color management off so you see the "unmanaged" image as you edit. No embedded profiles or any other working space than straight-up sRGB. Profiling is only good when you know exactly what device will be used for the final output. On the web, of course, you have no idea so it just makes things worse.</p>

<p>Hi Janne,</p>

<p>So I went in to edit>color settings, and I turned off all Color Management Polocies. Working spaces I left alone, as you can't turn this profile off.</p>

<p>I opened a PSD and saved as JPG, turning off the ICC Profile.</p>

<p>Are there any other options I have to turn off? As it stands, I am still getting a desaturation problem.</p>

<p>-- "I shoot in RAW (nikon) and edit primarily in Lightroom. When neccessary, I will right click an image and choose Edit>Edit in Photoshop CS2.<br /> When saving in CS2, I click "Save As", change to JPG, and I keep the ICC Profile: sRGB IE... selected."</p>

<p>So, you only use CS2 "when neccessary" ... not all the time ... Question: Are those images that didn't need any treatment in CS2 good, or do they also look desaturated when you look at them in IE or in the Picture Viewer? ... Also, what are the settings you use in Lightroom? (Especially those regarding color profiles/color spaces).</p>

<p><b>Configuration:</b><br>

1- Calibrate and profile your monitor with a <b><i>hardware colorimeter*</i></b>, set the operating system to use that monitor profile. <br>

2- In Photoshop CS2, use the "Edit->Color Settings" menu command. Pick the North American Prepress 2 settings bundle. Then modify the default RGB working colorspace to "ProPhoto RGB" from the popup menu. Click OK. <br>

3- In Lighroom Preferences, External Editing tab, for 'edit in Photoshop CS2' set it to create TIFF files, 16bit per channel, ProPhoto RGB colorspace. (I also set mine to 72 ppi and ZIP compression.) Close preferences and you're ready to go. </p>

<p><i>*eg: Xrite i1d2 (aka "Eye One Display 2"), Colorvision Sypder Pro, etc</i><br>

<i><br /></i></p>

<p><b>Working: </b><br>

1- import and edit your images in Lightroom. <br>

2- when you need to edit in Photoshop, choose the LR "Edit in Photoshop" command ... it will generate a rendered TIFF file with ProPhoto , put it in the catalog, and open it with Photoshop CS2 for you to work on. Save and close, switch back to Lightroom when done. <br>

3- when you're finished and want to output a JPEG file, choose the files you want to output in the Library module. Choose the "File->Export..." command. In the 'File Settings' section of the Export dialog, pick JPEG format, colorspace "sRGB" and whatever quality setting you find appropriate (I usually use 60-70%). Apply whatever settings are appropriate with regards dimensioning, metadata, naming, output location, etc. Click export. </p>

<p>--</p>

<p>The images you edit in Photoshop CS2 should look exactly the same as they do in LR if you set things up this way and work this way. </p>

<p>The exported JPEG image files should match as closely as is possible the edited images in LR and in Photoshop at this point, modulo the differences between viewing them in other applications/browsers that don't honor color management. </p>

<p>Godfrey,</p>

<p>Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!</p>

<p>I did exactly as you listed in your post, and I was still getting the changing colors, and was about to come back here with bad news, but after a restart of the computer and the modified settings you provided, everything is working out.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>Good to hear that worked correctly. </p>

<p>Regards the problem you encountered in doing it, I believe it is quite common when using Windows that the monitor profile doesn't "take" when you just apply it after doing a display calibration/profiling. Most of my Windows using friends/clients always restart the OS afterwards. This doesn't seem to be the case with Mac OS X; at least I've never needed to do a restart with the Eye One Display 2 software. </p>