Are you Manhattanhenge ready?

<p>You'll have two chances to get it right.<br>

Time: Sunset, May 30th or July 12th<br>

Place: Manhattan<br>

Because of the slanted nature of the island of Manhattan, or the island currently known as New York City, there are two points in time surrounding the summer solstice where the sun will set exactly in the center of cross street blocks. Get your cameras ready!<br>

here is a great detailed article: http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/resources/starstruck/manhattanhenge/</p>

<p>I am planning on how to best photograph this, and would appreciate some advice. I have a Rebel (1.6x crop) with the 18-55 IS kit lens. I was already going to buy either the Canon 10-22mm or Tokina 11-16mm for general ultrawide use - more on that in a sec - but for this event was considering renting the TS-E 24mm (to get the skyscrapers vertical).</p>

<p>Here is what I'm wondering, especially if you have experience with the Canon/Tokina ultrawide lenses: how much will flare be an issue with either lens if I am shooting a sunset straight-on? Is the Canon really that much better at controlling flare? Or do you think a setting sun in the centerline (probably low down) of the frame might not cause as much problems with flare as a daytime sun? General thoughts regarding the Canon vs. Tokina are welcome also, since I am planning on buying one of these for more than just this one event.</p>

<p>I realize the 24mm TS-E may not be wide enough on a crop body... I am trying to figure out a way to simulate the actual view that will result from my desired shooting location (combination of math and Google Street View, lol).</p>

<p>Cheers,<br /> -GLL</p>

<p>PS - I handled both the Canon and Tokina ultrawides already, although I loved the build quality and feel of the Tokina both of them were satisfactory in that regard, so I don't really consider that an important factor here. Also, I don't mind a low amount of "nice" flare (lines of various colored polygons/cirlces/arcs), it's overall reduction of contrast that I am much more worried about.</p>