Yashica 635 Outfit

<p>Following my recent introspective post about 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' and recently bereaved widows flogging off their departed hubby's camera collections ASAP, as promised here's a pic of the Yashica 635 outfit I recently acquired from Widow #2. Everything was there except for the Owner's IB, which I downloaded from the Net.</p>

<p>Interesting camera and outfit, for a couple of reasons. One is that the large padded rectangular leather carry case was the standard item for the Yashie 635, not the usual Rollei-inspired leather shoehorn job. I guess it had to be as big as this to cart the 35mm adaptor plumbing bits around, but it sure would have made the 635 relatively un-portable IMHO.</p>

<p>The other aspect is that in spite of the camera's nice features and quality, which are clearly based on the Rolleicord but having that additional 35mm capability 'built-in' rather than having to fork out for it as an accessory, both viewing and taking lenses are Yashikor triplets. You'd expect that after having gone to all the effort of including the 35mm capability, plus the fancy carry-bag, Yashica would have upped the ante for the taking lens to the same F3.5 4-element Yashinon that the Yashicamat wore. In fact, some Net delving revealed that final 635's <em>did </em>have the Yashinon replacing the Yashikor, which makes you wonder why they didn't go that path earlier. OK, so ain't it wunnerful how hindsight is always 20/20 .....</p>

<p>PETE IN PERTH</p><div>00TOHz-135549584.jpg.675d08b83ac0028cc624fb231411b27c.jpg</div>

<p>There was an ever-ready case for the 635. If I remember correctly, it was sold with the 635 in the UK and the 'system case' was an optional extra.<br>

I've seen some very impressive large prints made from a later 635 with the Yashinon. A friend, who used one for years thought, that the 635 was more reliable in the transport department than the Yashicamat, which he also used. For myself, I was always impressed with the 635's focussing screen. It seemed a lot brighter than all but the very last Rolleicords to me.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>A friend, who used one for years thought, that the 635 was more reliable in the transport department than the Yashicamat</p>

</blockquote>

<p>My experiences were the opposite.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I was always impressed with the 635's focussing screen. It seemed a lot brighter than all but the very last Rolleicords to me.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes, this is true. Their great viewfinders makes these Yashica TLRs excellent user cameras. I don't understand the Rollei (especially Rolleicord) hype, my 'cord II's viewfinder has severe vignetting and is not that easy to use.</p>

<p>hi Pete,<br>

I'm also a big fan of Yashica TLRs. My first real medium format camera was an lie-new Yashica D which I purchased in Prague. Apparently a shipload of Yashica Ds was imported during the "Prague Spring" in 1968, just before the iron curtain around the Czech Slovakian republic was closed again.<br>

I bought mine about 5 years ago and have used it a lot, they weigh next to nothing, can be hand held up to 1/15 (when not drinking too much coffee) and make no sound at all.<br>

After my first D came an A-TLR, then another D then a MAT, then an LM and then some other Yashica TLRs. They just look so cool although the later once do seem to have some film transport issues.<br>

All of them except the A have the 4-element lens. According to some sources the 635 and D were produced during the same time and come with either 3 or 4 element lenses, seems to have been the both transitional models.<br>

regards,<br>

mischa</p>

<p>I have a 635 along with two 35mm adapters. My 635 had a dent in the filter rim of the taking lens but is otherwise in good condition. The Yashikor lens is not bad of you stop it down even a little. While I was in college my Yashicamat 124G broke for the second time so I sold it. A friend found me a late model meterless Minolta Autocord in very nice condition with the original case and strap. I think I paid $30 for it. It was from a widow. The Autocord is a much better made camera than a Yashica Mat 124G. The lens on the 124G was excellent. It was the winding mechanism which wasn't very strong. I later added a Yashica A and a Yashica 44. The A is noce and light and will give you a very respectable 8X10. If I found a nice D or Yashicamat with the Yashinon lens I would be tempted to get it but I don't think I would be interested in a 124G again.</p>

<p>Congrats on your acquisition Peter! That looks like a nice one! I'm eager to see some shots that you take with it, particularly with 35mm adapter.</p>

<p>I have a Yashica A myself, and I love it. Lemme just say that the Yashikor triplets are nothing to sneeze at either...I've had tack sharp results with mine. The WLF on the A is a bit dark though, you really have to squint to see it except in bright sunlight.</p>

<p>Triplet lenses often get a bad rap. I believe that is because a lot of the front focusing triplet lenses have limitations at close focus distances. The TLR triplets don't have this problem. I have a Rolleicord III with Zeiss Triotar triplet, which I assume the Yashikor is based on. It's plenty sharp in the center 2/3 of the frame, even at f 3.5. In addition this Rolleicord was updated with a Yashica focusing screen-much brighter than the Rollei ones and quite usable in lowlight. Have fun. TLRs are my favorite type of camera for studio work.</p><div>00TOSy-135643684.thumb.jpg.41850e6f7a51b6c26debaff7c8fbc4d3.jpg</div>

<p>My 635 outfit has the eveready case. very thick black leather with a nice shiny top.<br>

The 35mm adapter was always somewhat of a pain to use unless you were trying to shoot verticals or needed the longer lens.<br>

The big difference between the Yashikor on the 635 and Yashinon (from my other Yashica TLR's) was in the corner sharpness. The drop-off in sharpness in comparison was easily noticeable at 8 in. X 8 in. enlargements.</p>

<p>I have a Yashica TLR also. It too is an "A." The lens on this one is a Yashimar as opposed to a Yashikor. What the difference is is beyond me. I haven't been able to find another with the same lens. For a supposedly inferior lens, I don't have any complaints with sharpness falling off. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as they once were.</p><div>00TOgV-135739584.jpg.7fac0d6bfb9a33dfd709be092c578e36.jpg</div>

<p>I think the 35mm adapter was designed to shoot portraits. The 80 mm lens was perfect for that. People used to, when they took a portrait with their TLR, crop the negative down to the 35 format.<br>

Have found that the knob wind TLRs are more reliable than those that have a film crank. Such as the Yashicamat and Mamiya C330.</p>

<p>Thanks to everybody for your inputs here! I'm now pretty convinced that my 635 outfit is an early one (maybe 1960 or thereabouts?) because of the carry case. I'm also suspecting that the IB I downloaded from the Net, unfortunately undated, is also an early one because it only mentions the carry case and not the usual TLR-type ERC. It only mentions the lenses being Yashikors, too.</p>

<p>Clearly later 635s not only came with the ERC option but eventually sharper Yashinon 4-element glass. I don't want to seem condemnatory of triplets in general, but there does seem to be a lot of evidence that at a max aperture of F3.5 the envelope is being pushed a bit too far. Mind you, for some situations (like portraits) that isn't always a problem - don't we want the outer parts intentionally to be a bit less clear as long as the central area is sharp?</p>

<p>I intend to try the Old Beast out with a 35mm cassette for a few portraits of Mr Lucky, our family black cat, plus our two dogs. There isn't any point in trying it out with 120 stuff unless I also put a reel through my other Yashie TLR, a very early Yashicamat, to get some idea of how they perform under similar aperture situations. By the way, my Yashicamat is not the one I bought in Singapore in 1967 while serving in the Grey Funnel Line - that one definately had an F3.5 Yashinon taking lens. The one I now have was acquired via Fleabay Oz a few years back, and has F3.2 'Lumaxar' viewing and F3.5 taking lenses. These were apparently the 1957/8 forerunners of the 'Yashinon' and are optically similar, with all sorts of rumours about the name change including threats of litigation from the British company Corfield. I guess we'll never know!</p>

<p>I've posted that same pic and a short write-up about this 635 Outfit in my Flickr Portfolio Pages, for those interested:<br>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113303@N07/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113303@N07/</a></p>

<p>PETE IN PERTH</p>

<p>I have a later model with the Yashinon lenses. It came with a black case with red felt lining. I sent it to Mark Hama and he cleaned and checked it out. The Yashinon lens cameras had a "sx" prefix to the serial number. I don't think even Mark knew exactly how many were made like this. It is the camera that got me addicted to TLR's.</p><div>00TPQi-136135584.jpg.43e741b15860263fc301adf69eda152c.jpg</div>

• 5 months later...

<p>@ <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=2404054">Steve Dittmar</a><br>

Hi Steve, I just got to this post via Google, as I have a 635 myself, and was searching for the cameras serial number to see what I could find out about it.<br>

My camera is in very nice condition - I got it from a Widow on that big auction site [Hi <a href="../photodb/user?user_id=334106">Peter</a> ] - and it is fitted with Yashikor lenses.<br>

Its serial # is SX60606559<br>

You say in your post that "The Yashinon lens cameras had a "sx" prefix to the serial number."<br>

I guess that your camera has an SX prefix and has Yashinon lenses?<br>

What's your cameras serial number Steve? It would be good to compare...</p>

<p> </p><div>00Urdr-184513584.jpg.313ab00c6e4330794764c1fd3e5db13d.jpg</div>