Nikon D700 with Nikkor 35mm 2.8 AI/AIS

steve_barrett

<p>Has anyone tried a Nikon MF 35mm 2.8 AI or AIS lens with a Nikon D700?<br>

<br />The reviews of the 35mm 2.8 are mixed. Any opinions from users ?<br>

<br />There were several variants of the 35mm 2.8. I'm interested in hearing observations regarding the image quality differences, if any. Would one version be better than the others?</p>

<p>I have used a 35 2.8 nikor S, serial 346xxx, and I keep it around. It was Ai`ed someplace along the way so I first used it as a normal lens on my D200.</p>

<p>It is worth way more the $50 I paid as part of my first forey into primes and I would not hesitate to use it under any conditions.</p>

<p>If you request , I will do a pic on a D700 and post it, but it is really hard to do evaluations on internet pics unless they are grosely bad lenses.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The hot ticket of all the Nikon 35/2.8s(shift excepted) is the 1974-1981 6-element one, originally available as K(pre-Ai) and Ai. Do not confuse it with the subsequent 5-element one that replaced it. Check serial number ranges with 'photosynthesis site' before buying if not sure. For what they cost($65 to $125 US) it's an amazing lens. I absolutely recommend it...you will not be disappointed. I shoot mine on a D3, so imaging should be the same as the D700.</p>

<p>Thanks, Keith!<br>

That's exactly the version I am looking for. I owned one back in the day that I bought new just before Auto Indexing was introduced. Later, had it AI'd by Nikon. I have some great photos made with it.<br>

When I owned one before, I didn't use the 35mm focal length much. That's why I want something inexpensive.</p>

<p> </p>