lens or teleconverter for sports?

shannon_lanier

<p>New to the board (this is also posted in third party lens forum) ... I am using a Nikon D50 with Nikkor 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 lens to shoot youth baseball, soccer and swim meets. I love the lens, but it won't quite reach across the baseball infield, or from end to end of the pool.<br>

I am considering the following options: (1) use a Kenko 1.5x teleconverter - tried this with very mixed results. In overcast conditions, the lens is super slow, otherwise the autofocus either jumps like crazy, or won't work at all if zoom is maxed out. (2) Purchase a Sigma 28-300mm f3.5-5.6, or (3) use my current lens, resize the photos, and wait until I can get a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 lens.<br>

Any thoughts? I am not wedded to these options. I will be using a tripod or monopod. My budget is between $300 and $1000.<br>

Many thanks.</p>

<p>You should be able to get the sigma 70-200 2.8 for under $1K...I've seen them for under $900. That would be the route I would recommend. Plus it should work better with a 1.4x teleconverter than a 3.5 or slower lens, should you feel you still need more reach.</p>

<p>"use a Kenko 1.5x teleconverter - tried this with very mixed results" - I believe the Kenko 1.5X is the HQ (High Quality) converter that costs around $50. You need to try the Kenko PRO 300 series1.4X that costs around $200 in USA. The price difference reflects the quality difference, but more important is the quality of the lens that the converter is used for, and how well the optics is matched.</p>

<p>Tele converters not ment to be used with varible lens. They are mostly for use with fast fixed apurature lenses (ie f2.8 or the f4) The 1.4 tele converter will give you one stop lose of light and a 2x will give you 2 stops lose. So I am actually suprised you even got it to work on your variable lens. Auto focus usually needs less than f8 to work properly. So when you said it was slow it is because focus is not getting enough light. Why it would not work when max zoomed it is because at max zoom the lens goes to 5.6 and with the tele on it it drops it to f8. You can pick up a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.4 tele for under a grand so that is what I would go with.</p>

<p>Get the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - version II, and a Sigma brand converter. I tried others and would not work right consistantly. Your 18-135 is a good general purpose lens, but not much good inside gyms and indoor pools.</p>