Wedding Photography is a big money waster..?

rick_shanahan

<p>After doing art photography for many years, I am now looking into weddings. I already booked my first wedding.<br>

The thing is, that photography is not my day job, mechanical designing is. My goal is to gain enough experience where I can truly market myself. I wish not to charge couples thousands of dollars, since I can do this more like a hobby. I want to give them the best possible service and photos without breaking their banks. I know how important photography is for weddings.</p>

<p>Aimee, I completely agree to your statement.</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>This is a running discussion on this site isn't it?</p>

<p>Some veiled resentment when it's suggested that beginners learn under a more experienced wedding photographer. Some veiled resentment when less experienced "hobbiest" shoot weddings for lower prices ... sometimes VERY low prices.</p>

<p>Some people are trying to make a living doing this ... where others aren't, and business principles don't figure in the equasion. Someone may shoot a wedding for $200. or $400. and may well do okay at the shooting part ... but they aren't running a business in any sense of the word ... simple business math dictates that.</p>

<p>IMO it comes down to where the "experience" comes from, and at who's expence.</p>

<p>What seems to be proposed here is that you "don't get what you pay for" ... you get more. New shooters undervalue their work because they can, they don't depend on it. That's nothing new. But it does fill a need. Not everyone can afford 2 or 3K+ for wedding photos.</p>

<p>But, to say that these folks are just as good as a professional, highly experienced photographer that is running a responsible business and all that entails is an over-statement IMO ... an exception to the rule, not the rule.</p>

<p>I tend to pay my second shooters as much or more than Aimee charges, let them have all their images to build a portfolio, and spend lots of time advising them and guiding them to be able to service the client, and do more than break even financially. Then when they are ready, give them the lower budget weddings to get them started ... but still "watch over them" providing council and advice in servicing the clients needs or pulling off some client request. Eventually they fly on their own. </p>

<p>Every single one of my assistants is successful ... whether they do it on the side, or as a full time professional. Some are now even more successful than I am.</p>

<p>I only say this because there can be rewards for shooting with an established photographer for a year or two, and that seems to be getting lost in these debates. </p>

<p> </p>