Macbook Pro 15" with glossy screen - was this a mistake?

<p>I just received my 15" MBP and transferred my Lightroom catalog and photos and stuff to it. I cannot be happier with this laptop! The speed blows me away and I am super excited to be able to work on my photos where ever I may be. The MAC OS is just super and the design is ingenious!</p>

<p>However, I was just informed by someone that there was a "matte" option for the screen instead of "glossy". I was worried I made the wrong choice for the main purpose of photo editing. I did my research online and it seems for the 15" MBP there is no option on screen - only glossy! On the 17" the option exists. For me, the 17" was sort of defeating the purpose of a laptop - being portable and light... so I went with the 15". </p>

<p>My questions are...</p>

<p>1) For photographers using Lightroom and Photoshop, what is the standard considering the NEW Macbook Pro laptops that are being produced by Apple?</p>

<p>It seems either is ok, and that the only problem is with reflections on the glossy? Seems it is only a battle between bright screen with possible reflection issues, or not a bright screen with anti-glare.. ? Correct?</p>

<p>2) Since I really am not wanting the 17" laptop,</p>

<p>seems my options are limited to the glossy. How best to calibrate it? It really looks pretty good out of the box to be honest. I have Spyder3 so I guess I should just do that, but the problem is that I use my laptop in different environments. What is the solution?</p>

<p>3) Any other tips?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I have both a 15" glossy and a 17" matte, so I can compare. The main problems I have with the glossy screen are reflections and a very slightly exaggerated contrast. Nothing I cannot live with. I calibrate using the Coloreyes Display Pro software with the bundled XRite DTP-94.</p>

<p>However, neither is suitable for critical work - you need a good external monitor. I use Apple Cinema HDs, but the new NECs are supposed to be much better.</p>

<p>Yeah, I definitely know that you should not do critical work on the laptop, however for most of my edits in Lightroom I am 90% happy with being able to do them portably. It allows me more time to work on my photos instead of down in my office in the corner where it is no fun to be! :) I have an external monitor as well - not a fantastic one but good enough and I can always double check with that before printing or publishing.</p>

<p>1_if you can control your environment, it is not a problem, but in a cafe..you might dont always like the reflection.</p>

<p>2_It calibrated well as any other display. Understand that a laptop monitor is usualy a bad place to color correct your images BUT i should admit that this newer monitor is pretty good. I dont do anything critical on it, but when i transfert my images to my main station i rarely have to color correct my image (or at least i dont have to do it too much)</p>

<p>3_Option? yep, i was in Toronto 2 weekes ago in a Apple store and i bought a matte film to put over my 15 inch macbook..WOW. 35$CAN, peel and stick, install in 3-4min..impressive.</p>

<p>So see, you made a good choice, and for 35$ you will also have the matte look..live happy : )</p>

<p>heres the link for the film and other cool agdget to add..</p>

<p>http://www.powersupportusa.com/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Edward, for what is worth..i prefer to work on the newer macbook pro monitor vs on *couple of hundred* dollar monitor..It is seriously way better than what you use to know on any other laptop.</p>

<p>I dont say its THE best option, but if the OP is short on $, a 35$ matte film will bring joy and hapiness to is life for now ; )</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Thanks everyone. Ok, so I just installed SpyderElite 3 on my Macbook Pro. However, which gamma do I use? 1.8 or 2.2 ? Seems to be a big difference in contrast between the two. </p>

<p>What is recommended?</p>