Lens Availability

adam zyto

<p>I have a general question on lens availability. I’m a Nikon shooter and after reading the many discussions I’m certain that I want the new Nikon 35mm f1.8 and the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 to add to my gear. The trouble is that these lenses are out of stock at every place I’ve looked (NYC). Why is that? Doesn’t Tokina know that they have a winner with the 11-16? Why don’t they produce more of this lens when the market is so strong for it? Same for the Nikon 35mm f1.8. To those who know more about these production issues than I..can you please explain why such lens shortages exist. Thanks in advance. </p>

<p>Adam... I don't know how Nikon and Tokina work in the USA but I also find very strange because I think you have the largest market in the World and they should supply the stores in a much faster way. I am in Japan and here there is never in shortage in equipment. Maybe just a year a go the 85 f/1.4 wasn't available in many places but that is the only time I know about a shortage in lenses. I really think the problem is at Nikon USA and no where else.</p>

<p>Tobey, thanks for the link to Sameys but as I tried to order, I got the message that the lens is not available. To Lex's question - yes, I did ask some of the stores and they said that Nikon does not provide details, they'll be shipped when they're shipped. The "shortages" are well known in the area. I'd like to understand why this situation exists. </p>

<p> A lot of it has to do with simple supply and demand. When a new lens comes out and is a winner, everyone buys it. So not only have they not worked out all the kinks in production, but they sell every copy as it comes off the assembly line. It's only once the mania dies down that things return to normal.</p>

<p>I think all the major manufacturing-based companies have stepped on the brakes on their production due to the global financial crisis. And, Nikon is doing likewise. The problem is that many are stepping on the brakes too hard and they are beginning to sense that they have done so.</p>

<p>As Brian wrote, supply and demand, but more... In the supply chain business companies have to forecast demand. Once that demand plan is in place, production is scheduled to meet the anticipated demand. If that demand is far greater than the plan called for, as is apparently the case here, production is going to lag. It is difficult to re-schedule production to meet unexpected demand. Furthermore, it may be more profitable for a company to use its finite plant capacity to produce items that yield higher volume -- a low-end SLR or kit lens (or both) versus a new prime with limited sales potential, for example.</p>

<p>I was looking for Nikon 35mm f1.8G couple of weeks back, I had placed a back-order with couple of online retailer and I had placed a back-order with local store in my area. After a week's time I called one of the local retailer and he had it in stock. And obviously I picked it up asap :)<br>

IMO, just keep trying at local store, I think they do get few pieces (really few, I asked one local retailer and he said he had received 6 last, and the place I got it from had only 1) of the lens.<br>

Yesterday, I was reading it somewhere online (don't remember the site name) mentioned that Nikon USA is not releasing is due to economy and to keep the demand high.</p>

<p>I work for a international company and with the economic slump our manufacturing sales dropped while the warehouses reduced their inventory to cash for the company. Now we are back working hard to keep from any back orders. My guess Nikon is experiencing the same problem.</p>

<p>I suspect its hard if not impossible to determine the exact demand of a new item. As I recall the Nikkor 18-200mm was hard to find for a long time. I waited a few months for a Tokina 11-16mm that I ordered. Place an order to get in line at one of the good camera stores. You will get it as soon as the store can process the order when supplies arrive.</p>