Is it real or....

les_lammers

<p>the image fits perfectly everything else I've seen and read about the K-7. You are looking at the K-7 with it's kit lens DA18-55 AL WR. WR for water/weather resistant.</p>

<p>If it's half as good as the hype, it'll do the dishes at the same time as taking 100 fps RAW images @ 50MP.</p>

<p>SR switch? I sure hope it's not on page 3 of some custom menu. It doesn't look like the current grips will fit. I hope the new grip has an AF button added. It would be cool if the grip could be a card reader/writer and we could program it to record Jpegs while the body card records RAW or they could be run one after the other.</p>

<p>Please give me a SR switch in the menu system, unless somehow I'll be able to knock off the menu button too 0_o</p>

<p>For real - it needs to be a switch and accessed through the menu system. I know from experience. I sheared me switch off in the early days of K10D ownership. I crazily-glued back in place to prevent water intrusion :)</p>

<p>Starvy, this is a genuine model - due to be announced later this month...people are guessing in the stores in July-August.<br>

Tom, there's no mention in anything I've read of a SR switch on this body - but who knows what custom settings might give you.</p>

<p>Mis, I believe the larger body is in fact real. The grip has retractable legs (switchable to tracks for rough terrain - they're making it modular, just like the LX).<br>

On a more serious note, I'm not sure - but I believe that shot of the back of the camera has been at least partially discredited by some person on PentaxForums who may know nothing. All sorts of stuff has been bandied about about the presumed specs of this camera, but we're close enough now to announcement date that the time of hard details will surely soon arrive, and I look foward to seeing what early adopters have to say about it before I do any pouncing...I have my K10D held close to my chest, and if Javiers is anything to go by, I have at least 20,000 actuations to go!</p>

<p>...that said, if it really did do the dishes, it might sway me...</p>

<p>I think the product shown is for real. The back shot also is in line with what has been shown before.</p>

<p>Judging by the relative size to the kit lens, it seems to be a very compact body design indeed!! This "new concept" could be a great thing, if it tests out very well in all parameters, and truly different among today's DSLRs.</p>

<p>But not really a different approach for Pentax. They once had their fine, unique PZ-1p, but instead of advancing its design, they produced the MZ-S, a unique and very fine compact model, but having dropped some of the PZ-1p's special capabilities.</p>

<p>If it produces the very crisp out of camera JPEGS as we've come to expect, with more accurate metering, the advancements in features that have been listed, a weather-sealed kit lens (!), and a compact build, this could be a sensation!!!</p>

<p>Still not everyone's cup of tea, however, as a main camera. Some still like a larger body for feel, (a K30D?) but would love such a capable compact model as a secondary alternative and backup. But who knowes if a K30D will ever come? The next larger size model may turn out to be a FF design, and cost $2,200!! I am sure Pentax will wait to see how popular the Canon 5D II, and the next version of the Nikon D700, will become.</p>

<p>So those interested in a fine, larger Pentax heavy-duty camera, better consider taking aim for a new K20D at a great price while they are around! The 3-year warranty deal has been extended through the end of July. Close to the time the K7 will hit the shelves.</p>

<p>Where the hell is Justin? Well, if he's not going to say, I am: I love the new AF button. Having the rugged wheel around it means I won't confuse it with the EV comp button like I sometimes do on the K10D. AE-L is also in a better position. No more function button, as the functions are all right there with buttons of their own. Can't say I love it, but lot's of people were asking for it, and the masses must be pleased. The EV comp is now in the front, before the shutter release, as is another button whose function I cannot remember.</p>

<p>For those who are wondering, I'm pretty sure I read that the SR switch was being moved to a menu. Personally, I like that switch as it allowed me to play games with Canon shooters :-)</p>

<p>It looks pretty darn good to me. Frankly I never needed an external SR switch as it basically is turned on & off by using 2-second self-timer.</p>

<p>My question is what does the 'right' button on the five-way do now, is that where bracketing went? There's a separate ISO button on top now, right? I'm assuming the white button under the AF button is labeled LV for "Louis Vuitton"...uh...Live View. The two on the bottom appear to be "INFO" and "MENU". No need for Fn anymore.</p>

<p>Can't really tell yet from the front view whether you can switch AF.S->AF.C->M focus from that switch or if it's just AF/MF like the lower-end bodies.</p>

<p>The only problem created by compactness I see so far, is the rear screen now comes all the way over to the left, so handling will definitely have your left hand very frequently in contact with the screen's left side.</p>

<p>My impression is that it will be very close to the size of the *ist-D.</p>

<p>Lovely looking camera - hope the IQ is great.<br>

looking down the front of camera's left side<br>

4 buttons/knobs<br>

flash up<br>

PC socket covered<br>

Raw button<br>

and what is the thing at the bottom - SR button don't you think?</p>

<p>Well, Les, that is one reason many people like a somewhat larger body size- a better balance and feel with lenses having a bit of bulk. And for some who use mainly larger size lenses, this is more likely so. To me, the emphasis here in the K7's compact advanced design is in being an ideal match with high-class compact primes, that is to say the Limited series, a Pentax specialty. The DA 12-24mm and 17-70mm are not compact, but not all that large either. So I think they will work out fine. That is not to say the K20D may not still feel better with these lenses. </p>

<p>If trekking about, I would prefer have the smaller body to cut some of the bulk, and maybe put up with reduced counterbalance with larger lenses feel, than having both a bulkier body and a bulkier lens to carry. I like the feel of the K20D body very much, although for lengthy carrying, its size and weight are a definite factor. For a noticeable reduction in size and weight, when needed, I often choose my K200D or 100D for any lengthy walking, or for bicycling. But if I am just going from the car onto location for shooting, especially with larger lenses, I'd rather have the larger body.</p>

<p>Using a compact body even with a large lens is not a big deal for me, however, as I tend to have my hand under such a lens for balance anyway.</p>

<p>Micheal,<br>

"The only problem created by compactness I see so far, is the rear screen now comes all the way over to the left, so handling will definitely have your left hand very frequently in contact with the screen's left side."<br>

Search the big auction site for GGS LCD protector. It is about $10 shipped from Hong Kong and it does a great job on any camera.<br>

I may want a K7 down the road. I do want the WR kit lens NOW!</p>