Moderator Note: Supportive/Positive Contributions and Constructive Criticism ONLY

<p>Yes Henry well said.<br>

I find this overly protective attitude sad. What about freedom of speech issues. Now I understand how imperfect the written word can be and when you have the nature of the Internet well things just get missinterpreted then bam the flaming starts. I see this all the time then people start re reading the posts and if things haven't gone too far the apologies start. Why cant we just let the offenders hang themselves, instead of a new rule or rules for all. If we have a member or members who cant behave send a warning and if it continues or they have a history for this get rid of them. I for one want to be treated like an adult and while I'm on the subject of adulthood, I find some photographers/artists to be such raw nerves that any criticism is too much to bare. Frankly I have no idea how some people get through the day, this goes for the tormentors and the tormented. The thing that I see on this forum is the quality of questions have gone down, maybe its me but I see a real difference in the questions asked a year ago and the ones asked now. This especially true in the category of optics.</p>

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Todd says "What about freedom of speech issues." Todd, you have no freedom of speech or right to express yourself on this website. First, you (like me) are not even a subscriber or member. You are only able to post here because of the good will of the owners of this site (Josh Root etc.). They own this site and it is their private property, like a home. They can filter, censor or delete anything you say without reason or justification. Moderators here are very forgiving. But maybe they need to toss out (or at least suspend) more of the bullies than they have in the past? </p>

<p>"...and there's a subset of Leica owners who are determined to make themselves laughingstocks"</p>

<p>to be more exact this is true of all costly brands. A friend of mine owned a camera shop in the past and he sold camera's like the afore mentioned to people who just bought it for it's name sake. It's as simple as that. There are those that just want to have opposed to those that know what to do with it. Nothing new really but still beyond me. Why spend an awfull amount of money if you can't take a photo worth a damn but just want to show off. That however is still a far cry of being proud of owning and using high quality gear that most need to save up for.</p>

<p>Personally I don't care what people shoot with. I'm more interested in what they shoot but I've never felt inclined to mock someone who owns better gear than me and is proud of it. Hell, my first camera was an old 35 mm Mamiya RF that I got from my father. It's kept in good working order, used on occasion and something I'm very proud of.</p>

<p>The moderators are correct to attempt improving the image of this one forum. It has been the main source for several good people to leave PN with bitterness and bad feelings about being here. There is no need to act in an uncivil/unfriendly/unsupportive manner when a constructive crtique can be used instead. "This suxx" or similar do not count as being constructive. </p>

<p>This forum used to be really amazing back in the days before the street shooters and the "no-words" contributions were split off. Guys like Jay, Al Kaplan, Dennis C, Mike Dixon, and many others made this forum required daily reading. Yeah it often would degenerate into a Michael Vick style dogfight but it was sure fun. Yet for a forum to survive and still tolerate debate, moderation is essential. I wouldn't have the time or brains to do it. I'm glad someone does.</p>