Epson 3800 dull prints

<p>I used to get into the technical stuff using ICC Profiles with different papers, but always found that the colours in Print Preview were way off but did exactly match the print in terms. I stopped. Now I make all adjustments in Photoshop and set Photoshop Manages Colours, Pick the MEdia Setting for the particular paper and print Mode Automatic Adobe RGB with my colourspace Settings also as Adobe RGB (1998). Works perfectly (or as close to) each and every time on any Epson Paper. Getting great results without ICC profiles on my Pro 4800. Colour settings in CS4 arre as follows:<br>

RGB: Adobe RGB 1998<br>

CMYK: Euroscale Coated V2<br>

Gray: Dot Gain 20%<br>

Spot: Dot Gain 20%<br>

RGB: Convert to Working RGB<br>

CMYK: Convert to Working RGB<br>

Gray: Off<br>

Check Profile Mismatches - Ask When Opening/Ask When Pasting<br>

Missing Profiles -Ask When Opening<br>

Engine: Adobe (ACE)<br>

Intent: Relative Colourmetric<br>

Check 3 boxes<br>

Desaturate Monitor by 20%<br>

Blend RGB Colours using Gamme 1.00</p>

<p>With a calibrated monitor everything works as it should with no bad prints.</p>

<p>Ciaran</p>

<p>Thanks for the help and suggestions. I could never have gotten all this help in English where I live in Japan. I will do more printing and compare to photos I have that were printed at a photo lab (and not colour managed).</p>

<p>Ciaran,</p>

<p>All those Color Settings parameters have nothing to do with the print unless you accidently assigned AdobeRGB to an untagged sRGB image when first opening in Photoshop which I doubt you've done.</p>

<p>I'm amazed at how well Epson can accurately reproduce color just using their Automatic settings as you've done. It looks pretty much what I did with my cheap Epson NX400 only I make sure I switch to "No Color Management" in Print With Preview. I'm sure you probably get better results using your more expensive Pro 4800 than what I showed in that posted image from my NX400.</p>

<p>I don't see why other printer manufacturers can't reproduce color as close as Epson in AdobeRGB. It's no longer a mystery knowing what RGB color should look like on a calibrated display. Those other printer manufacturers and I'll include minilabs among them must not work in a vacuum in knowing what RGB color should look like. They act as if they're using some special display that shows color so differently compared to the rest of us that they intentionally get it wrong and blame the software. It's now a no brainer and there are no excuses as far as I'm concerned when it comes to reproducing RGB color correctly on a print.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Ciran,<br /> I too, continue to have dark prints from my 3800. I have calibrated my monitor. I use basically the same settings that you describe above except for the following (whiich I will now try):<br /> Desaturate monitor by 20% and Blend RGB colors using gamma 1.00<br /> I do have a question about another one of your settings you describe above. You state:</p>

<blockquote>Now I make all adjustments in Photoshop and set Photoshop Manages Colours, Pick the MEdia Setting for the particular paper and print Mode Automatic Adobe RGB with my colourspace Settings also as Adobe RGB (1998).</blockquote>

<blockquote><br /></blockquote>

<blockquote>What is the 'print mode automatic'?</blockquote>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Hi Pat,</p>

<p>Sorry for my late reply. "Print Automatic Mode" or more accurately "MODE: o Automatic o Custom" can be found in the Printing Preferences dialogue box, with a Drop Down menu beneath. I click the Automatic box and choose Adobe RGB from the Drop down menu beneath. Sorry for any confusion due to my inaccurate description. I hope this helps.<br>

Regards Ciaran</p>