D3x medium vs D3 large

larry_pao

<p><strong>Walter</strong> , I uploaded the files as they were, but somehow Flickr down-ressed them, because when I downloaded the files to check, they were much smaller. Maybe pick the shot you find the most useful and I can just send you an email with the two versions. Either way I will try again with Flickr.</p>

<p><strong>Dan</strong> , the profiles are identical on both cameras, no d-lighting or active d-lighting applied. The D3x images seem to be consistently a bit under exposed compared to the D700, making it harder to compare overall IQ, so I ran the shots through Lightroom and adjusted the exposure settings to make the two shots closer in that respect. I found it easier to spot the differences after the exposure adjustments. Perhaps I should have just send them as is as Walter suggested. I could e-mail the untouched originals if you like.</p>

<p><strong>Dan</strong> , you will be absolutely happy with your D700. It is an amazing camera and I recommend it without hesitation. Matter of fact, I am having second thoughts about giving it up! BTW, the D3 never arrived back from Nikon Repair Center on Friday, so it's a good thing I still have the D700 for the event Sunday.</p>

<p><strong>Dan</strong> , about the bodies... I prefer the feel of the D3x/D3 because the D700 with grip is actually a bit heavier and clumsier. However as you probably already know, without the grip, the D700 is substantially lighter and excellent for a long day of shooting.</p>

<p>The good news for me is that the D3x does not have to sit in the bag for events. D3x images may not look much better than images on D3/D700, under these less than ideal conditions, but what it does show is that it will do an excellent job with the added bonus of being able to really shine for when the occasion calls for some on-location formal portraits. But let me make this clear, even under less than optimal conditions on the field, the D3x images look a tad better to my eyes. Blacks are deeper and there is a more contrast overall. Sharpness is not noticeably better nor is resolution. However, in deal situations (Tripod, strobes) the D3x shines and easily out-performs the D700/D3. A word of caution for the D3x for events shooting: You better perfect that hand holding technique because it is very unforgiving if you have even the slightest amount of shake.</p>

<p><strong>Conclusion:</strong> I will stick with the D700/D3 for events mostly because of the added headroom for higher ISO performance, but the D3x is a great backup and needs not sit in the bag for events and candid wedding shooting.</p>

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic