Dealing with client's skin issues...what do you do?

steve_c.5

Shannon, excellent approach. I've never thought of it that way. Then again, I've never had a major issue with client skin. I do remove obvious 'blemishes', but if there are other obvious identifiers, I prefer to bring it up with the client and then let them decide. If it's a beauty spot, it stays on...

<p>Shannon: I have to agree with the others who have commented on your 'retouch scale' - it's a fantastic approach! I will definitely be making use of that in the future, as I recently found out that I went a little 'overboard' with the retouching on a couple graduation photos for someone. (I went to the 'glamour magazine' level with a few shots, and she was a bit creeped out.) It left me perplexed as to how I should tactfully handle this issue in the future. Now I have a great answer, hah.</p>

<p>Imo, most photoshop "work" is overdone by the worker (as Kerri mentioned; a common "mistake") ... a good rule of thumb is to apply your "changes" that you feel "improve" the image file and Then pull it back until it looks more real. I pull back on almost all changes I might be moved to create in photoshop.</p>

<p>Pull it back by lowering opacity or lower the level of the effect you've created on a layer: just a good general rule to be aware of as you post process.</p>