Anyone Using the Burzynski Collar on an AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8?

john_newell2

<p>Hello John<br>

I am using the 80-200 AF-D (the first version that came without collar) with the Burzynski collar. I am not entirely sure whether the collar is absolutely identical to the one for the AF-S, but it should be very close.</p>

<p>It's really a great piece of equipment! Operation is very smooth and locking/unlocking with the tightening screw is very well controllable and secure. The foot is very close to the lens (i.e. the whole assembly retains a small profile). I personally find this extremely agreable to handholding, as there is hardly anything "in the way". If you turn the foot to the top, you end up having something like a little "platform" on which you could mount e.g. a flash that then sits close to the front of the lens (for macrophotography stalking with a diopter [i have the Canon 500D]).<br>

The only minor drawback of the small profile might be, when mounted on a macro-rail for instance: the small clearance between lens and foot also means that the camera sits "lower", which might cause a problem when changing horizontal/vertical orientation. But when this is know, it is easily circumvented by placing the camera/lens far enough to the rear of the rail so that the body can turn freely.</p>

<p>Stability: it's rock solid! No flex, nothing. I guess the lens would be damaged before the collar starts to wobble...</p>

<p>Price: well.... I bought my lens second-hand with the collar for a price which was very good for the lens alone. When I discovered what the collar costs, my purchase had to be deemed fantastic! This collar is expensive, here in Europe its far over 200 US$ new.<br /> Whether it is worth that much in terms of what you need (e.g. how much do you gain in stability, how bad is your current collar, etc.) depends on your case.<br /> In terms of what you get for the money, I certainly think it is worth it (you could certainly spend your money on less useful accessories).<br>

I don't have my lens with me at the moment and will not get back to it before next week, but here is a link to a picture that I found on the net which shows the collar that I have: <a href="http://hannu.mallat.fi/opinions/images/bz_80_200.jpg">http://hannu.mallat.fi/opinions/images/bz_80_200.jpg</a></p>

<p>I hope this helps.<br>

Daniel</p>

<p>Thanks, Daniel! I'd seen that picture using Google. It actually worried me a little - I don't think I want that much of the barrel of the lens covered. The AF-S version is so different, though, that I'm guessing/hoping that it is more like the version for the 300/4, which I have and love (and which is very trim and compact). As far as I can tell, no one's ever put a picture of the AF-S version on the web!</p>