Which lens to push me in a different direction?

jphotog

<p>

<blockquote>

<p >Hi,<br />I shot with a D700 and I pretty much use three lenses to cover my basic needs:</p>

<ul >

<li ><em >AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8</em>, which I use it mostly for landscapes and funky close-ups</li>

<li ><em >AF-S 50mm f/1.4</em>, used for pretty much anything. Walk around lens, portrait, landscape, you name it</li>

<li ><em >AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8</em>, which has become my favorite for portrait and moving objects. Great sharpness (except corners) and beautiful creamy bokeh. This lens never stopps to amaze me</li>

<li >I also own the <em >AF 50mm f/1.4D</em> and the <em >AF 20mm f/2.8D</em>, which I tend to pull less and less often out of the camera bag for obvious reasons</li>

</ul>

<p >Now, I am thinking about which will be my next lens. I would like something that will push me and my photography in a new direction. I have a few ideas:</p>

<ul >

<li ><em >AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8</em></li>

<li ><em >24mm PC-E</em></li>

<li ><em >50mm f/1.2</em></li>

<li ><em >AF DC 135mm f/2</em></li>

<li ><em >Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 SL Macro APO-Lanthar</em></li>

<li ><em >200mm f/4 micro</em></li>

</ul>

<p >Anyone who would care to share your experience with a lens that changed your way of thinking photography? <strong >The WOW lens!</strong> No reason to limit yourself to the above mentioned lenses.<br />Regards,<br />Jonas</p>

</blockquote>

</p>

<p>I don't understand how the 14-24 can "push you in a new direction" over the 17-35, or how the 50 f/1.2 differs greatly from the 50 f/1.4. That's just a waste of money.</p>

<p>I have two suggestions.</p>

<p>The AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED will let you get REALLY close to small things. It's also reasonably inexpensive.</p>

<p>The PC-E Nikkor 24mm will teach you how to use movements.</p>

<p>Just be aware that you'll have to put in some work to get the most out of either of these lenses. There's not quick "WOW" here.</p>

<p>Wolf Rainer Schmalfuss: I like that suggestion!<br>

<br />Dan South: There is a bigger difference between 17mm and 14mm than it appears. I enjoy wide angle and 14mm would challenge how I do composition. f/1.2 is also quite different from f/1.4 regarding DOF. This lens is also a lot sharper close to wide open than the f/1.4. As George S says, the results are easily distinguished from other fast lenses. I am afraid that the 60mm micro is to short, that it will shadow my subject. The PC-E 24mm is very interesting. I am mainly attracted to the tilt function to increase DOF at larger apertures.<br>

<br />A few of you have suggested me to limit myself in different ways: Use a selection of primes, go B&W, get a project etc. I believe these are excellent ways to improve creativity.<br>

<br />One of the best suggestions came from Georg S and Eric Arnold: to got the lightening route, to improve my skills to use any #%¤# availiable light. Many of the best photographs were made by creative lightening. Thanks for good advice.<br>

<br />Kent Strabus and Bob Bill: Nice pix!<br>

<br />Bernard Mills: The AF DC 135mm f/2 is an exciting alternative. Obviously I understand that getting out there and working is the base of developing one´s skills.<br>

<br />I don´t understand Shun Cheungs suggestion to do nothing but wait?<br>

<br />Thank you guys for taking your time to make this a worthwhile thread (at least for me).<br />Jonas</p>

<p>Hey Jonas,</p>

<p>I tend to agree with Shun; however, if buying gear is part of the joy you get out of this hobby then by all means spend more money. there's sooo much gear to buy that if i bought gear with that logic, i wouldn't have money to eat :)</p>

<p>Jonas, in my opinion, you are doing all of this totally backward. Essnetially that was the message I was trying to provide in the first response in this thread, and I am still saying the very same thing here.</p>

<p>Think about it, if you want to buy a car, do you ask some forum whether you should buy a hybrid, a sedan, an SUV (sports uitility vehicle), a mimvan, a pickup truck, or a bus? And then after you get, for example, a pickup truck, figure out what to do with it afterwards? At least to me, that does not make any sense.</p>

<p>Instead, you should find out which areas in photography you are interested in and then get the tools to enhance that area. I took a look at your portfolio here on photo.net: <a href="../photodb/member-photos?user_id=4781506">http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=4781506</a> There isn't even one people portrait image there, so I wonder whether getting some lighting equipment such as soft boxes really make sense or not. But only you yourself can answer that question.</p>

<p>You already have some nice lenses. I would suggest you take some photography class or workshop. That is likely a much better way to broaden your vision and knowledge than buying more lenses without a specific purpose. In my experience, the fact that one needs to ask whether he/she should buy a particuar lens (or camera) or not is a very good indication that it is not necessary.</p>

<p>Sort of a never ending question. You got fine equipment so figure out in what direction you want to go. I am a "look what I saw today" kind of photographer and am happy with my Tamron 17-50 2.8 glued to my D90 or a Nikon 24 AF when I want a smaller package. A camera is just a camera and a lens is just a lens. Neither will help a whole bunch with creativity. That's up to you.</p>

<p>I would say maybe a macro lens. I think a macro lens opens up an entirely new world of photography. You could spent literally days shooting in your backyard. Also try shooting at night, just to change things up a bit.</p>

<p>The "something that will push me and my photography in a new direction" is already there - your brain.<br />If you rely on something other than yourself, a new lens for instance, you will never be satisfied with the results.<br />After you think your 'new direction' through then acquire what you think will help you achieve it, not what we suggest. We will always be partial to ourselves and never to your needs.<br />It may be a new perspective and not a new lens.<br />Jim C</p>

<p>Asking for a new lens to be pushed into a new direction seems to me a very curious expectation.<br>

The lenses you've already got make me both sad and envious since it would take me the next five years to make the money to buy them!<br>

The second reaction I had was to quickly check your portfolio since the implied idea of exhausting all the possibilities of those beautiful lenses seemed surreal, to say the least.<br>

In spite of these kind photographers suggesting nice lenses they would like to play with I would say: do not buy anything, just take photos, again and again and again.<br>

Best, G. Blurian</p>