Nikkor 50mm f1.8 MF - any information?

dave_gold

<p>Hello, i want to buy the aforementioned lense for my night outdoor huntiungs with my D40.<br>

Because D40 has no motor inside, I've decided not to spent money for Nikkor 50mm f 1.8 AF,<br>

but to take the MF.</p>

<p>Does anyone can give me some review on this lense?</p>

<p>Thanks for your time,<br>

David.</p>

<p>This lens seem to share optics with the highly acclaimed AFD version... then all its wonders apply.<br>

The smaller sized versions of the 50/1.8MF (pankake type; latest plastic and E series) has a min. focus distance of 0.6 meters, perhaps you`d prefer to buy the older classic AiS version that focus closer, up to 0.45 meters.<br>

<br /> Check Rorslett site or photozone.de for details.</p>

<p>I would definitely get the AF version, so that you have a lens that meters with your camera. The MF lens won't.</p>

<p>Also, the focusing screens in modern DSLRs can't resolve enough detail information to allow for manual focusing with a lens open wider than f2.8, so be very careful to watch the focus indicator when focusing with that lens.</p>

<p>The AF lens I have is simply great.</p>

<p>The 50 f/1.8 AI-S (or Series E) and AF-D versions are optically identical and incredibly sharp when used from f/2.8 to f/8 or so.</p>

<p>Buy the AF-D version instead, it's only $150 or less. The D40 has no built-in metering so it will be completely guess-and-check with a AI-S version.</p>