<p>It's a licensing limitation: Student editions are one-time sale only, they cannot be upgraded at discount when the next major revision is released. And they are supposed to be sold exclusively to students in the academic community.</p>

<p>Feature and function wise, they are identical to the standard edition. </p>

>>> Student editions are one-time sale only, they cannot be upgraded at discount when the next major revision is

released.

Did that change recently? Wasn't the case with earlier versions.

www.citysnaps.net

<p>If you're short on funds and need the student/teacher edition (if it's still called that) you can draw on my experience from buying one of their Suites. I bought the suite, and it worked well, but that was it. I got technical support at the same level as anyone else, especially helpful since installation caused my CD-ROm drive to spin at about 60 times its normal speed, due to some bug in Adobe's software and it took two to three hours of their software engineer's time to dig ourselves out of that hole and some workarounds that I'm not even sure they fully understood but which eventually did work.<br>

You do get a chance to re-install the same software on a second computer you are using as a backup work station -- usually a notebook/laptop) per usual license agreements -- a licensing feature most people tend to overlook, especially since when you call Adobe for support they can easily generally 'see' that both versions may be running from their "Internet' notifier, if both are running properly and both are on -- your desktop and your laptop.<br>

Over time, Adobe will automatically allow you additional installations at routine or predictable intervals, much as Microsoft does - maybe every six months, as much software needs to be re-installed or they may ask that you call them (hard if you're on Safari in Namibia, which is why it helps to keep a backup copy of a program that does not need 'activation' such as Photoshop 7, because no telephone or Internet 'activation' is required. And without 'activation' your software will not work. <br /><br />With my software, it stopped working in Ukraine and I couldn't access either a local number of their US 800 number (An ATT&T calling card will get to a US 800 number, or it would but foreign calling cards generally won't).<br>

So, I was left without the use of my expensive student/teacher Adobe software for the duration of my trip which was for a long time--until I returned to the states in about a month or more.<br>

Adobe does have some foreign numbers and it is possible to use Internet Cafes if you can Schmooze the operators into letting you attach your computer to theirs - which sometimes can be done, if a machine activation is called for, but if it's telephone activation adobe wants, you may be stuck calling a US 800 number which you cannot reach - maybe they now have a better selection of foreign numbers . . . . I hope.<br>

The principle disadvantage of using a student/teacher edition is that once they were superseded by new software they were antique/they could not be used as 'scrip' toward getting a lower price for a new edition. With higher-priced editions of Adobe software they 'qualify' you for the lower-cost upgrades . . .. . . always a consideration when making that initial purchase IF you have enough money to consider the high initial price of the FULL version.<br>

Of course, in Russia and Ukraine it is virtually impossible to buy an authorized version of Adobe Software; I've tried and tried and to no avail.<br>

There is one store in Odessa which had 'original' sealed Adobe packages, but in years in Ukraine, that's all I've been able to find.<br>

People there are starving because of the banking/currency crisis (in Ukraine) -- especially pensioners, and paying hundreds for a full priced copy of Adobe software is something that almost no one is willing to do when pirate copies are for sale in many places at $5 apiece.<br>

I'm not advocating it, and presently I do not have CS4 on my computer, but I'm just describing the way it is and pricing ramifications in the totality of the present-day world.<br>

Adobe makes a fine product and just as I don't want people stealing my copyrighted photos, they have a right not to want to have their software stolen.<br>

But pirates vs the legitimates in the Eastern world is a never-ending battle at the present time . . . . . until there is more money in the Eastern world.<br>

If you're going to stay with Photoshop and its upgraded versions regularly (even skipping versions) it's best to go with the high priced version if you can spare the cash is my view.) Heretofore Adobe has let people upgrade from several versions back, so even if you skip the next version or even the version after that, your older software still has 'upgrade' value, generally.<br>

John (Crosley)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Feature and function wise, they are identical to the standard edition.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Students can only get the extended edition, not the standard edition. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Student editions are one-time sale only, they cannot be upgraded at discount when the next major revision is released.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So far, students have been able to upgrade. However, the upgrade for the extended edition is more expensive than the standard edition upgrade, even as a student.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I suspect that the license for the student edition does not let you use it for professional / paying work. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>Adobe does not restrict its use in that way. They are very generous in that respect, unlike Microsoft's educational EULA.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>And they are supposed to be sold exclusively to students in the academic community.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At least at my alma mater, Virginia Tech, they are sold to faculty and staff as well as students. You have to show a valid university ID to make the purchase at the off-campus ("Volume Two") facility of the university bookstore.</p>

<p>For customers in the <b>United States</b> (and I believe the rest of North America), same license, same product, you just have to be a qualified educator or student to buy it.</p>

<p>Adobe's other regional offices set their own rules, and several of them don't allow upgrading.</p>

<p>Adobe seems to be pretty lenient with whom they will consider a student. I am taking an introductory digital photography class at a local 2 year art school. I'm a continuing ed student, not in a degree program, and all I had to do was scan and email my letter of registration from the school (on letterhead). It clearly spelled out my limited academic connection, and no problems with Adobe. At that rate, if I need to upgrade in a few years and can't b/c of my student edition, it's worth it for me to take another class, learn a new skill, and get whatever new version I need. At $199 it's an incredible value.</p>

<p>There are two types of student versions - (1) Bulk-licensed by the school and available for download, and (2) A complete boxed version marked as a student version.</p>

<p>With the former ($200), you have no upgrade rights at all. With the boxed version ($300), you have the same rights as anyone else with a full version. At worst, you don't get the premiums available when you register a commercial version or upgrade. Once you upgrade, you become a full member of the club.</p>