Rebel XTi

scouser1953

<p>I'm fascinated with Macro photography and following the advice of Scott Kelby, I have recently ordered some extension tubes which will hopefully give me a similar effect as a true macro lens without the cost.<br /> <br /> I would also like to purchase a reasonably-priced telephoto lens and noted Canon has some deals right now (this week's photo.net newsletter). Being a beginner I can understand that I need to decide what I will be using it for; however, if I knew what each lens would produce might help me determine which one to get. This is where I'd like some advice. What results should each lens produce? The only lens I have right now is the standard 18-55 mm which came with the camera. Your advice would be most appreciated. Thanks. Liz</p>

<p>I'd do it the other way around: decide what you want to do first. But if you want an inexpensive lens to use to help gain some experience to help you figure that out, one relatively inexpensive and lightweight option is the EFS 55-250 IS--not a fabulous lens, but not bad, and certainly good for the price. It's what I carry. The IS (image stabilization) is nice, because the longer the lens, the harder it is to hold it steady enough, and IS compensates to some degree for that. Because your camera has a crop sensor, this lens is the equivalent of a 400mm telephoto on a film or full-frame digital SLR, and that is long enough for a lot of purposes.</p>

<p>Preface: always try to decide what you want to do first, and then determine what you need for that purpose. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot more money and time getting to a destination by a roundabout route.</p>

<p>For a telephoto, I'd recommend either the 55-250mm IS or the somewhat better and more expensive 70-300mm IS lenses. These would be good "starters" and either is an appropriate match for the XTi. You'll always be able to sell them when you decide to get L glass.</p>

<p>For real macro (1:1 ratio, that is that the size on the sensor plane is the same as the size in the so-called real world), there is no substitute for a macro lens. For the XTi a good choice would be something like the EF-S 60mm or the EF 100mm macro lens. The Tamron 90mm is a cheaper, but excellent alternative.</p>

<p>Finally, the so called "macro" on zoom lenses is really just "close focus," yielding rather less than 1:1 ratios, but adequate for things like flowers and the like.</p>

<p>Just to second one of JDM's comments: I have the EF-S 60mm macro, use it a lot, and have found it to be a superb lens, particularly for the price. Sharp as a tack. makes a nice walk-around lens too. But my advice is not to spend the $$ (about $400) until you really know that you want to do macro. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"I would also like to purchase a reasonably-priced telephoto lens .."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You can't really go wrong with the EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS. I use it for everything from outdoor portraits, landscapes, wildlife (in good light) and near macro. Its build quality is cheap, maybe slightly better than the 18-55, but it is very good value and will do 90 per cent of what much more expensive lenses will do.</p>

<p>Joanne. you can't change the lens of S5 IS. Interesting that you say you need telephoto, S5 already has quite huge range (36–432mm in 35mm terms). There are never compact camera models that go to 500mm but the difference really isn't anything special.<br>

In dSLR world going over S5 IS range will cost you well over $1000 (for one lens only), handholding becomes rather difficult and the lenses are Big.</p>

<p>S5 also focuses very close. I guess you could try close-up lenses (screw on filters) to achieve more magnification.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. I doubted that those lenses would work but thought I'd ask anyway, since I wasn't sure.<br>

<br>

Kari, yes it does zoom pretty far before it really starts loosing definition. But I was hoping there was a way I could go further without loosing def. I've misplaced my book but I'm sure it shows SOME kind of extra lenses (or filters?), just can't remember what exactly. <br>

<br>

And it indeed does also have a really good macro focus also. But I see photos that are even closer (seem to be) with such crisp details that it puts mine to shame. That's what I'm talkin about. I imagine I'll have to break down before long and just buy something new (again....). It's been suggested I try a Rebel.</p>