Help for beginner photographer

<p>I recently purchased a Nikon D90 and have been out and about on the street and was wondering if there is any ediquite i shouold observe when taking candids of people on the street. I often find myself feeling uncomfortable taking pictures in crowds in public and was hoping to find if there are any social boundries i should observe when out with my camera. What if you see someone who looks interesting and you want their picture? Do you simply ask? Do i need to feel weird taking pictures of people without their permission in public (i.e. salesman at a farmers market)?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>You should consider cultural and regional conditions. Depending on the country and the group you should decide between not taking at all, ask for permission or take a discret picture.<br>

There are many ways to take a picture of somebody without asking for permission. I am always very worried about taking pictures and somebody geting angry, so I am very careful.<br>

To take this kind of picture use a telephoto: is easier to shoot people discretly at a distance. Salesman are easier to take because they want to sell something. Just approach the guy and ask for permission. In some tourist regions like Youcatan (Mexico), Oaxaca, they are very used to this. Some will tell you no to take a picture, be polite and dont take it.<br>

I live in Mexico, so I am used to take pictures of different culture groups in traditional clothing. Some of them are very sensitive, so you must decide between not taking the picture or be discreet with a telephoto. I have done this many times. Sometimes, whtn you ask permission for a portrait, they will ask for money . And very often it is a good trade.Some cultural groups in Chiapas have a ban on photographs in their towns like Tzotzil and are very strict on this.<br>

Be careful with pictures of kids, parents could be very sesnitive and paranoid. They are excellent subjects, but just be careful.<br>

One trick I use is to take many pictures of the surroundings. Lots and lots, direc t the lens behind the subject you intend to take, focus first behind them, and then focus on them and take the picture and continue to take pictures in other direction. They cant know waht you are focusing. They will not notice antyghing. Remember your are taking "landscapes" and "architecture". I read this trick in some good Kodak travel book<br>

Any one has the right to tell you no to take a pictrue, but if you are polite and decide wisely you will not have a problem.<br>

Best regards<br>

Carlos Rodriguez</p>

<p>i try not to do crowds and random people just because i am also scared of people's responses when they see a camera<br>

i take pictures of bands but i ask all the bands if they want photos ahead of time and i try to stay away from crowd pics</p>

<p>There are no rules-different photographers take different approaches. Some use telephotos or otherwise try to remain as inconspicuous as possible. Others walk right up, introduce themselves and essentially become part of the group they want to photograph. Regardless of what approach you take, you need to feel comfortable with it. If you are uncomfortable, it is more likely they will be too. You want to look and act like you belong there. It is certainly not necessary, legally or IMO ethically, to ask permission (and once you do, is it really "candid"). So you shouldn't feel weird about it. Just be prepared if they have a negative reaction or ask you why you are taking their photo. Use common sense. Obviously if you are in a "rough" neighborhood you might approach the situation differently than a farmers market, which I would not be concerned about at all. You have to ask yourself, is that photo of a biker worth the potential hassle? Only you can answer that question. Just use good judgement and be confident and you'll be fine. Happy shooting!</p>

<p>This thread really belongs in the street photography forum.</p>

<p>Personally, I've always been on the shy side. Sometimes I find it hard enough to just walk down the street without a camera! But I've also noticed that if you project the right attitude, and you're holding professional-looking gear, you can get away with a LOT. I think your success has far more to do with the energy you give off, rather than what everyone else is about or what they're doing. Granted, there are limitations and exceptions, and you always want to be mindful of these, but for the most part, street photography and candid shots are about reading--and being read by--people.</p>

<p>To give you an example, I was out the other day and I just started snapping away whenever something looked interesting. I wasn't subtle at all. I tried my best to look friendly, unassuming, and yet in control, like it was the most normal thing in the world to do. Some people smiled. Most pretty much ignored me. But you gotta be fast. You have to be quick in thought and action. Don't second guess yourself. Things are going to happen in an instant and if you blink you'll miss it. Don't insist on entering other people's space. Let the attitude permit them to open themselves up to you. If they read you well, they'll probably be more receptive. You, in turn, have to read them...it's complex, fast-paced, and challenging. Not a sport for the socially inept.</p>

<p>On the flip side, I've been the victim of street photographers. I was literally ambushed one day walking down the street. I was in my work clothes ("business casual"). Out of nowhere a bunch of film school hacks led by some a**hole instructor comes up to me, and I can hear the instructor talk to his students about me, referring to me in the third person as if they were magically invisible when in reality their lenses were a foot from my face. Totally disrespectful. I suppose they were learning how to be paparazzi. And yet, I knew at the time I was completely powerless to stop them. Anything I did--even the slightest expression of displeasure--would only play into their hands. I should hope that this is not the state of photography education today. In your face, get the shot, no regard for your surroundings.</p>

<p>There are some people on this forum who would defend the actions of these guys to their dying day. I don't necessarily disagree that they have a right to take photos in such a manner. But at the same time, don't expect those who are imposed upon to enjoy it or feel good about it. If you're the kind of person who's okay with knowingly and intentionally causing other people to feel lousy for your own financial gain, and doing so right in front of them, then might I suggest law or politics as a better career choice.</p>

<p>I have just recently done this, having taken some pictures while on vacation in another state. I don't know the area, knew none of the people except the one person I was staying with, and that was it. I found it easiest to put my longest lens on, and take pictures from afar.<br>

I did have someone ask if I had taken their picture (which I had), and she simply asked to look at it, then if she gave me her email address if I could send it to her.<br>

Personally, I'm really liking the candid photography that I've been trying lately. Catching people in their natural environment, doing their own thing is something that is unique to each person, so being able to capture that is what I'm looking for. I try to stay as discreet as possible, though sometimes it doesn't always help. One thing I don't do anymore is to get fidgety and try to point my camera away if they look my direction.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One thing I don't do anymore is to get fidgety and try to point my camera away if they look my direction.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That is <strong>excellent</strong> advice, spot on! Looking away is a really hard habit to break for some people, myself included. Nervousness about being noticed is often mistaken for suspicious intent. If you're noticed, smiling is probably the best thing you can do. Let them have a clear view of your face. After all, you're been observing theirs....</p>

<p>I shoot street photography for the most part. I visited this forum as I am looking to see what others think of certain lenses. I came across your post question, which is a very common question and concern.<br>

When I started shooting street I used, what many on this site use; Shooting from the hip. That is shooting while walking or being discreet and sneaky about shooting photos of people on the street. This I believe came about out of fear of rejection or confrontation. I did get a few shots that were good, but not excellent.<br>

A friend here on this shite, Shambhala, then TOLD me to stop sneaking around and go up and talk to the people first, get comfortable with them, then start shooting. She does this method at times and said my photos would improve if I do it.<br>

I have done so. I do still snap a good shot once in awhile as I see them. However, I do very littel shooting from the hip now.<br>

If you will go to my workspace for last weekend you may see some results. I had gone out to shoot, started talking with one steet person who still had it together. I bought him some water and we were off; he got his street friends to all allow me to photograph them. They all talked to me and we shot and chatted for maybe 5 hours. I had a very productive and great time.<br>

Shoot the way that is best for you. Shoot the way that is comfortable for you. In time you will relax and go with the flow. It will all come together.</p>