Pentax DA15 Lens — Brilliant!

tyler_monson

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Indoors without flash - not much distortion in this shot. What I can say about the Pentax DA 15/f 4 so far is that it's solid built with some heft to it. It extends out from the camera body about 1 1/2 inches. There is one design improvement over the 35mm Limited lens. The supplied lens cap for the 15/4 mm will still fit if you put a UV filter on the fromt of the lens. That's not the case with the 35mm Limited lens. With that one, adding a filter prevents the supplied lens cap from fitting so I had to get a cheapie clip on lens cap that will grab on to the filter. I will take some more photos outside and some with indoor flash with a conventional Metz flasy (not the pop up). The 15/4 has a built in lens shade that works just fine when you put a filter on the front of the lens.<br>

<strong><em>All shots were taken with the Pentax K10D camera body.</em></strong></p>

<p>Kathy, the pop-up flash only covers down to 28mm IIRC, so no surprise that there's vignetting there.</p>

<p>As for distortion, don't confuse perspective distortion with optical distortion (such as barrel or pincushion). In your first shot all straight lines look, well, straight :-) The image looks distorted because you're cramming a very wide FoV into a narrow light-collecting area.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Next I wll take this outdoors.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I expect that's where this lens will shine. Seeing as you're one of the first to buy it, I would suggest you start a new thread once you have some outdoor pics to show off. I don't imagine many people are still following this thread so they'll appreciate having a separate thread with new pics.</p>