Buying used: D300 or D2X?

Karim Ghantous

<p>Here's a different opinion than the one mentioned above on Thom Hogan's website (the quote below is also from bythom.com):</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Bottom line: the D2x is an excellent value at the current used prices (US$1500-1800), making this a very tough choice. For me, the smaller form factor, lighter carry weight, and high ISO capabilities give the nod to the D300, but I'm still very happy with my D2x for landscape work. </p>

</blockquote>

<p>The D2x is a fine camera if you understand its limitations and use it within its constraints. But it is pointless trying to argue that the D300 is better.<br>

I had a chance to try out the D300 and I can definitely recommend it.</p>

<p>I had the choice between a D300 and a D2X- I chose the D2X.<br>

I know some people say the viewfinder is the same, and that the autofocus is better, but I personally like the autofocus of the D2X more, and to be honest I can't see myself ever needing better autofocus than the D2X gives.<br>

The other thing that swayed me was obviously the quality at low ISO which suits my style of extremely sharp long exposures at night. The D2X is great at this, and the fantastic battery also means that I can take lots of them before needing to recharge.<br>

I like the smaller size of the D300 however I REALLY dislike the controls of it after having used it for a while. I also find I don't like the controls of the D3 that much but they are better than the D300.<br>

One thing I really dislike about the D300 is the pop up flash. I consider it useful however it is VERY flimsy and I feel like it would get broken off and expose my camera to rainwater and etc.. Not good. I'd rather pop an SB-400 on the top of my camera if I need a party flash.<br>

The high ISO of the D300 is definitely better than the D2X but I think it's a bad reason to get the camera unless you need the crop factor. If you want truly better ISO performance get a D3 or D700 which blow both the D2X and D300 out of the water.<br>

Just my opinion. I am not some super pro, I am just a guy that chose the D2X over the D300.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I had both, and when I did the side by side comparison, at ISO 100 and 200 I sold the D300, and bought another D2xs.<br>

I simply fell in love with this Camera, and I totally agree with all the pros and cons mentioned, but I guess it's a personal preference/ feel. I usually never exceed the 400 ISO, but honestly lately after seeing some of the D3 images, I'm reconsidering. <br>

What makes me miss my D300 is the size, specially that I shoot a lot of Panos and VRs, and with the brackets I have the D2x is too big/ heavy to mount them on.<br>

So, bottom line, I do miss my D300, miss the larger LCD, beside the battery pack of the D300 is compatible with the D700, if ever you plan on having an FX.<br>

But I'm still keeping my D2xs' and hope to be able to keep them and go for an FX body.</p>