D80 + MF - lenses. Flash is blocked?

walterh

<p>Hello - I know that the D80 will accept AI lenses but will not (light) meter. The D80 does not "know" the largest aperture nor the working aperture of a lens without a chip.</p>

<p>So far so good. I gave a friend a 105mm macro lens for testing. Manual focus is not optimal but he got some fine shots nevertheless. Getting the right exposure was no problem because the light was very steady and diffuse under a glass roof.<br>

The problem was that we both were not able to fire the internal flash or an attached SB800 (M,P modes).<br>

Glancing through the menu system we did not find any setting that seemed related to our problem. There was not really enough time to search thoroughly.<br>

We might be able to find a solution the RTFM way but perhaps you know the solution without search?</p>

<p>I have a few MF AI lenses. to use the pop up flash, in the menu's you have to set it to manual, Goto the custom setting menu -> 22 -> and select your manual power. The SB-800 should fire in manual mode, at the moment i cant thing why it wouldnt have for you. I only use SB-80DX's</p>

<p>Hi Arnab - it is a long time since the D70 :-)<br>

Yes I used several AI lenses this way and used flash. I sometimes miss the ability to go up and down in shutter speed shorten than 1/250 that I had with the D70.<br>

Ian I was so certain it should work :-) At least if body and flash are set to manual. Even if the flash is not on manual but the camera is I would expect it should trigger the flash.<br>

I should tell my friend to try and reset the camera.</p>