<p>well, all printers have issues. I love the 3800. the ink cost is about 50% less on the 3800 so if you want to print even a reasonable amount, not to mention 17", there is no comparison. Also consider how much ink you get.</p>

<p>The 3800 will have lower ink costs because of the larger cartridges, it will print larger, the main reason to get it for most folks. I love mine though I rarely do 16x20 prints, but like its professional build. My prints, within the limits of my puny skills are fantastic, certainly the printer is not the limiting factor for me. I rarely swap ink, having used only photoblack (glossy) paper for the last year or so.<br>

If you want to print big, do not care about roll paper, and enjoy using a well built product, you'll love the 3800.<br>

Good luck.<br>

Eric</p>

<p>I had a 2880 - three of them actually. Nothing but problems. I gave up on it and bought a 3800. I'm happy with that. The ink costs are indeed much lower. The 3800 is a professional-grade machine. The 2880 is for the casual or hobby user.</p>

<p>The only advantage the 2880 has over the 3800 is a newer screening algorithm. I have both. That said, I prefer the 3800 for the reasons stated above (and the network capabilities).</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>as for the print quality, they are virtually the same, the 3800 is cheaper to run on the long run, but its more expensive to start if you are tight on your $. If you think you wont print 400 print soon..go with a 2880. Of course if you need a 17 wide printer..well, its the one to get.</p>

<p>The 2880 has/had driver problems (I returned my last one in March) and I can't say if they've been fixed. It went into a crazy automatic cleaning cycle that damned near drained every cartridge in the printer. I lost more money on ink with that thing than the machine itself cost. Thus far, no problems with the 3800.</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

What are doing the new algorithm? Any problems using ethernet instead of USB connection?<br>

Patrick,<br>

i was looking at the 2880 but since i will like to try matte papers and B+W, i'm concerned with the ink swapping. Even if i don't print a lot so far (I have a R800). I read that it is also better built and might have a longer life. For the 17 wide, this is an extra. How many sheets of A3+ do you average on an 2880 because i need to buy ink? What kind of papers are you using?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>A3 is 13x19? around 20-25 pages full color approx max with a full brand new ink . with a 11ml ink cart you wont go far ; )</p>

<p>As for the ink swapping, well any epson other than the 3800 will have that problem (except the new 7900 and up but that is another expensive story).</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The 3800 does ink swapping too - even when you don't want it to. Make one mikstake with your saved print settings and you'll find the 3800 switching to MK when you want PK and vice versa. Costs about $4 every time to switch back. I've become more careful, but I still goof now and then. You don't have to physically change the cartridges, that's all. I would prefer manual switching to automatic. Or at least have the driver prompt me to be sure I really wnat to switch blacks before just doing it. But of course, Epson sells more black ink that way. ;-)</p>

<p>you dont really lost 4$ of ink..as it take only 4ml of your 80ml cart that cost 60$, so if you divide 60$ by 20 (80 div by 4ml) its cost you 3$..OK i admit its close to 4$ : )</p>

<p>But just learn how to correctly print and make up your mind about the paper you use and you will save $ Ah Ah.</p>

<p>Ah, I knew it would happen. My first two days on this forum and already a troll has visited me.<br>

Check Eric Chan's page on the 3800 to learn how much it costs to swap from MK to PK and back. Or calculate it yourself.</p>

<p>I haven't tried the 3800 but have the 2880. The 2880 is great froma quality point of view, but it is somewhat expensive to run, and it's also EXTREMELY finicky about paper handling. It often thinks it's jammed when it's not, and getting it to load heavyweight fine art papers is sometimes excruciating.</p>

<p>My paper of choice for behind glass or protfolio need is Enhanced Matte Paper (or the newer name that replace it).</p>

<p>not expensie / perfect quality price..cant beat that. I use it for years until i switch to Epson Luster almost exclusively.</p>

• 2 weeks later...