Mess Ikonta 524/2 wind mechanism

<p>I've just received a 6x9 Mess Ikonta and can't figure out if it has a problem or I'm missing something.<br>

Firing the shutter releases the wind mechanism but it only permits a half turn before locking again. Holding down the release allows the film to wind but I can't see that's right.<br>

Extensive searching hasn't turned up a manual, so if someone knows how it should work that would be a great help.</p>

<p>H.P., I have the Mess Ikonta 524/16 but I think it should be no different than yours as far as it operates. Mine has the Synchro-Compur shutter/Tessar lens but I'm pretty sure the cameras with the Prontor SV or SVS shutters utilize the same double exposure lockout as the Compur.</p>

<p>There is a little round "window (about the size of this O ) just to the left of the rangefinder dial on the right side of the camera as it faces forward. If that is red then you can cock the shutter and will be able take a picture. If it is white you will have to advance the film before you will be able to take a photo.</p>

<p>You should be able to turn the advance knob a couple turns while watching through the red window at the back of the camera for the film number to come up (not the same window as the above mentioned one). If not them I suggest the camera needs a servicing. Almost all do unless you purchased it from a dealer that does one before selling.</p>

<p>If you know all this then I'm sorry to have repeated it. If you need a name of a good service person that has done all my Zeiss Ikon Nettars and Mess Ikontas then email me and I'll pass that info on.</p>

<p>BTW awesome cameras, you will love it for sure.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you are mechanically inclined you might be able to repair it yourself. Go to David Richert's website. He has a large stock of photographs of this camera being torn down step-by-step. They are large files so you'll need a fast connection. I used them to effect a similar repair on my own 524/2, and to calibrate its rangefinder. Good luck, it's a great camera.</p>

I just pulled out my 524/2 to see if I can help. On mine, after firing, the wind knob turns about half a rotation with virtually no resistance; after that, there is a great deal more resistance but it still turns. If I hold the trigger down, this resistance never kicks in. I would never advise anyone to force anything on these old folders, but it sounds to me as if your wind knob may be stiff, or at least stiffer than you expect. Are you sure it won't turn at all? Try it with no film or takeup spool in the camera; there should be less resistance then.

<p>The double-release lock of the 6x9 Ikontas is not too difficult and it should be more or less obvious what's going wrong if you take a close look at it after removal of the top plate. On the rangefinder 6x9 Ikontas this requires removal of the rangefinder/viewfinder block which is held to the body by 2 screws only.</p>

<p>Anyhow, the wind knob should not be too stiff. If there is a lot of friction this probably is caused by the spring which is<br>

wound around the wind shaft and keeps it from turning backwards. A drop of oil on the spring windings on the<br>

wind shaft should help a lot.</p>

<p>Thanks, Winfried. I've established that there's a problem with the shutter interlock but the dealer is happy to repair it, so it's going back on Tuesday and, hopefully, I'll have it by the end of the week.</p>