Justin, about the Adorama Flash Point Tripod

rogerdaltx

<p>Sorry for the public non-Pentax post; thought there was an "e-mail this person" link on profile pages but sure don't see it. <br /> Anyway, are you still loving the Adorama Flash Point Tripod? I'm going to Puerto Rico next month and want to buy a light travel / hiking tripod; mostly for the k20 and medium weight lenses. Just checking what your thoughts are on it after owning it a year or so. Is it good enough to support your 645? And please remind me the model number you bought.<br /> <br /> Anybody else listening in have suggestions for a sturdy, compact light weight travel tripod for airlines and hiking. Oh and I'm a bit budget constrained for this so thinking under $200 for the leg set.<br /> Feel free to delete / move / bury this post in a few days. </p>

<p>sturdy, light weight, and cheap tripod? - pick any two!<br>

Here is a few to consider.<br>

I use a slik sprint mini when I want to go pretty small and light. It is not mcuh bigger than a table top tripod and will hold a consumer weight dslr and lens ok. It only extends up to about belly button height which adds to its stability and compactness, but means you need to crouch over to use it.<br>

I also have a slik sprint pro which is the same as the mini but has longer legs to extend to shoulder height. Unfortunately it is not very stable when fully extended, though its the best of the cheap, light weight ones I have seen. Both come with a ball head that will hold a consumer wieght dslr and lens.<br>

Finally I have a Velbon Carbon fiber tripod, which is a good quality copy of a gitzo CF hiker. I think they are called sherpas in the US. Its much bigger and more solid than the sliks but about as light weight as the slik sprint pro. You will need to add a head. Its bigger than anything I would ever want to take on holidays and will probably run to more the $200 for the legs.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Roger,</p>

<p>While my camera gear doesn't get "abused" since they live in my Lowepro TLZ or Lowepro Primus on the trail, my tripods tend to take a beating since they are on the outside of the pack. Largely because my trail preference or maybe lack of trail preference is for rough and technical. The flash point has hiked well over 200 miles with me, and it's looking beat up, but working perfectly. I've honestly taken this thing places and distances I would never take a tripod. And because it's so compact lashing it to a pack is very simple. In contrast my Bogen 3221 is about 2x as thick when lashed to a pack and never seems stable.</p>

<p>I was concerned about carbon fiber splintering when it impacts/abrades rock, as in when I am squeezing up chimneys or traversing tight ledges, or going through caves. Thus far, it's a bit scratched up, but no splintering, or shattering.<br>

<br /> <br /> It's so light I did an easy 8 mile hike the other day with it in my hand rather than take it off the pack every time I stopped. I only started to tire from carrying it at the end of the hike.</p>

<p>It will fit very easily in a checked bag, and COULD possibly fit in a borderline carryon if the head is removed, and the center column taken out. It would be very close. And I'm not sure on what TSA policy is for carryng a tripod on the plane anyway. But I checked it wrapped in a thermarest when I went to Death Valley, and it arrived just fine, as well as didn't take up much space in my bag, hardly more than a rolled thermarest does.</p>

<p>Cons: Like any ultralight pod you need to make concessions. For perfectly calm days it can be fully extended, if there is any wind and I'm using a motion prone shutter speed I don't use the bottom section of legs. When fully extended it is about eye height though, and I've had no problems extending it on calm days.</p>

<p>The center post does invert, and it also breaks down for ground level shots. The legs fully spread open as well for ground level shots. And I use it like this a lot with a right angle finder.</p>

<p>Anyway, price to weight to size to durability it's a solid tripod. If you are shooting from a car locally, or just on short hikes something more stout is probably preferred. For my use, I usually take my Bogen 3221 for short photo specific hikes or shooting from the car.</p>

<p>For a head, I use the bogen mini ball. It's also rated to 9lbs and I haven't had any problems with it. It actually worked fine the other day with the 645N and 55mm 2.8. So it's versatile enough for anyplace you would be taking this tripod. The whole setup was about $155-165 shipped.<br>

<br /> The pod is in the car, but I bought the lightest of the bunch.</p>

<p>Also, I have to say the LowePro Primus AW might be the best camera bag I have ever used. It's a hiking pack with a dedicated camera section. Last weekend I put the 645, 35mm and 200mm in it as well as a 70-300, and a 21 or 43mm (one was on the k20D). I carried the K20D in a LowePro 65 on the chest harness. Plus, the shoveit pocket held my Camelback, and the top held food, some more photogear, maps, first aid kit and a wind/rain jacket. Plus there is a dedicated tripod holder and a second waterbottle pouch that I use for my GPS if I am planning on geotagging my photos.</p>

<p>When I went to DV, the Primus held my camera gear + my 9in netbook, all my electronics, and assorted carry on stuff for the plane trip, then turned into a great hiking pack out there. Very versatile, and a lot more secure than the Slingshot 300AW when in city/public places, but still easy to access your gear.</p>

<p>Geoff, "sturdy, light and cheap - with tripods pick any two", that does seem to be the old adage, but I think there are a few choice that more or less balance the options; at least for mid-weight cameras. Thanks for the suggestions on the Silks and Velbons, aren't they the same company now? I'll have a look at those. I like my Bogen 3021 a lot, but am not carrying 12lbs worth of battle-gear tripod and head on a plane with all the weight restrictions. I saw an Induro A114 and AX14 at a local store the other day; a compact aluminum model that seemed like a nice feature set and reasonable stable at a decent price. Spec wise it's close to the lightest of the Adorama flash point tripod and I like the feature set of the X model.</p>

<p>Justin I really appreicate your taking the time for the detailed review, you should post that on Adorama's site. People do seems to like it a lot and for the price I don't think I've seen carbon fiber for less. And I'd move a small Bogen ball head over to it. I'm sure yours has taken more abuse than I would dish out, so great to hear it's held up. My hiking may be 50 or 60 miles a year these days. My only concern is getting into a carry on bag it would be a tight fit.<br>

<br /> Oh, since I have more camera bags than anyone should and none of them being "right"... I would have been happier NOT knowing about the LowePro AW. That looks like a GREAT bag which would make a good electronics carry on and daypack. OK, ok I'm looking for a small tripod, not a $200 pack... moving on... but gee thanks a lot for putting that on my radar. ;)</p>

<p>I picked up one of the compact Slik Sprint Mini tripods as well, and it is much smaller and lighter than my Manfrotto legs. I swapped the little Slik ball head with a Manfrotto 484RC2 so it would have a quick release plate that matches my other gear. To do so I needed a <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=503797&is=REG">3/8" to 1/4"-2 reducing bushing</a> . It's not as tall or stable but for me fills the gap between full size Manfrotto and Ultrapod II.</p>

<p>I paid $70 for my Primus off Ebay with a BIN...shipped, almost next day! Definitely the best bag I have ever used!</p>

<p>When I was $200 I was considering it, but unlikely to buy it. When it was $70 and I got $60 for my Slingshot that I basically liked less and less, it was a no brainer. Yeah, I have a lot of bags as well, but the only 3 I use these days are the Primus, the TLZs (all 3 of them), and the stealth reporter 650AW (nothing stealth about that bag)! I don't like single shoulder bags because the weight distribution is unhealthy, and honestly it's easier to shoot when the pack moves with you and not against you.</p>

<p>Those Slik Sprints actually look pretty decent. I wish I'd gotten one of those over my Culman that I got off ebay (and way over paid for). The culman does fit in a carryon bag, and does weight less than the Flashpoint but it's much less functional than the Sprint series. The legs don't spread open for instance on my Culman. It works though, and it's ridiculously light.</p>

The Feisol 3342 weighs only 2.27 lbs and is rated to support 22 lb. I have one and could not be more pleased with it; I take it with me always. It costs $300. By comparison, the top of the line Flashpoint weighs 3.96 lbs lbs with a max load capacity of 24.2 lbs, for $270, while at the other extreme the 1128 weighs 2.64 lbs and can bear 9.9 lbs max, for $152. If you can find a better value than the Feisol then go ahead and buy it. Personally, if I were you, I'd wait to save another $100.

<p>i have the feisol 3342 as well, and i like it quite a lot. it's a full sized tripod (about as big as my bogen 3221) and comes up past my eye level without a center column, yet it's very light; even lighter, i think, than the flashpoints you're looking at. i'm only using it with my d90 and not-so-big lenses, but i think you'd be fine using heavier cameras/lenses with a good ball head.<br>

the only drawback i can think of is that it's not so small when fully collapsed. for me that's not really a problem, and i do believe the same tripod comes in a four-section model that folds up smaller. i got mine at <a href="http://www.reallybigcameras.com/">reallybigcameras</a>; they will be happy to send you a tripod with the opportunity to send it back if you're not pleased.</p>

<p>Leo, thanks for pointing out the Feisol tripods, I've never heard of them and the specs look very impressive for the price / performance ratio. Seems to be a direct order thing as the usual B&H, Adorama, Amazons don't carry them. I was just checking out their line ( http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm ) Lot's of options and in 20 minutres of Googling not a single bad word from owners. These look really good and they do have a few leg sets closer to $200. Will have to spend some more time researching these. </p>

<p>Just a note. One of the advantages of the 1128 over the mentioned Feisol is the size.</p>

<p>You are making a compromise, but that is for portability. Even though the mentioned Feisol is light, it probably wouldn't make it on as many trips with me personally because it's bulky in comparison. Which is part of what I was noting in the difference of say the Bogen 3221 compared to the Flashpoint beyond weight.</p>

<p>So it's going to come down to whether you need 22lb capacity and eye height without center column or compact size and just under eye height with center column down. Weight and apparent quality definitely make the Feisol look like an interesting option though.</p>

<p>You might consider ordering both the Flashpoint and the Feisol and seeing which fits your needs as a travel tripod better.</p>

<p>One thing that turned me of flashpoints is that they use twist locks, rather than lever locks. Personally I find the latter much quicker and easier to use in the field, though twist locks look a bit more stylish. YMMV.</p>