620 spools and loading questions

dina_dry

<p>I have an Argoflex and a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye that I would like to put film into. The only problem is that I don't have 620 spools to use. Does anyone know where I could find them to buy? I contacted a few film vendors to see if they can re-spool the film, but I can't guarantee that I will get them back when I send them in for processing. I just would need the spools and then I could keep purchasing the 120 film as long as I had a 620 spool to load it onto correct? Please help!</p>

<p>What is the best way to load the Kodak Brownie? I tried once before and ruined the roll of film that I bought. Any suggestions? Can it be loaded under a safe light? What about the Argoflex?</p>

<p>If you are going to use a 620 camera you will need spools. You can buy them on ebay. None of hte local shops in my area have 620 spools to either give away of sell. You'll probably need at least as many spools as rolls of film you intend to shoot.</p>

<p>In the 620 cameras I've been using I can get away with using 120 IF the spools are cut down to the diameter of a 620 spool. I do this with scissors... and just trim the part that sticks up past the paper roll. Then, with a 620 spool on the take-up side, load normally. A 620 spool is generally needed on the take-up because the drive mechanism for 620 is a lot smaller than that of 120.</p>

<p>After shooting I re-roll the exposed film onto empty 120 spools before sending to the lab. That way I don't have to trust the lab to return my scarce 620 spools. I do this in a changing bag.</p>

<p>BH Photo sell film on 620 spools, or did as it looks like they are out of stock.<br>

If you can get it then that is one way of getting 620 spools. Other than that look for cameras at flea markets or thrift shops etc as many times the still have the 620 spools in them.</p>

<p>And, many 620 cameras can manage with a 620 spool on the take up side and a regular 120 spool on the feed side. Sometimes you have to trim the 120 spool to get it to fit.</p>