Problem Om2 - manual mode

matt_mitchell

<p>Hi, I recently bought an Om2 with 3 lenses (1.4 G zuiko 50mm, 2.8mm Zuiko 135, and vivitar wide angle) Near mint cosmetics and the meter seems to work accurately in auto mode as with the shutter speed. In manual mode however when I change the aperture size the needle moves but when I change the shutter speed dial nothing happens, well I think it did a couple of occasions but now, nothing. I tried changing batteries from another camera but they too possibly could be on last legs. Battery check causes the light to turn on but with a little flickering.<br>

Could this be just a battery problem (although auto mode seems accurate) or something else? I am not very familiar with the olympus Om system, though I read the online manual.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>It could be the string connecting the shutter speed ring to the meter is not working. "Mint" condition cameras of this vintage are just as, if not less likely to function 100% than well-worn cameras simply for the fact that the mint condition implies lack of use. A CLA will probably bring it back to life, if not, repairs may be needed.... this should be expected with any camera over 30 years old.</p>

<p>Since the auto exposure works fine, it doesn't sound like a battery problem but I would get some good batteries and make sure.</p>

<p>Do you mean the meter readings on Auto seem accurate or are you saying you've put film through it and the actual exposures come out looking correct on Auto? The OM-2 has two independent metering systems, one for auto exposure (meter cells located in the mirror box) and one for manual (meter cells located in the viewfinder). On Auto, the manual meter is used to "preview" the exposure, but the actual exposure will be measured off the film plane after you press the shutter button and the mirror flips up. So, just looking at the meter readings will not tell you if the auto exposure system is working properly.</p>

<p>Patrick's suggest of an issue with the shutter speed ring sounds correct to me (at a guess). The shutter speed positioning, other then I think Bulb will not influence what shutter speed is actually used or metered in automatic mode. So if there is a problem with it, auto mode won't show it.<br>

John would probably have a better idea though.</p>

<p>In battery check mode, LED should not flicker or blink. Start with new silver oxide batteries (357, SR-44W, G-13, MS76, KS76). In manual mode, turning the shutter speed dial pulls a loop of braided string which pulls brushes across a small circuit board. This board is hidden behind the black plate at the top of the body mount opening. Board could be cracked or string broken, leaving the brushes motionless. John</p>