B&W Printer Recommendation

<p>Piezography inks with QuadtoneRIP on an R800. I've tried it and been quite pleased. This is only if you want to dedicate a printer permanently to B&W - they say you can swap inks but it would be a huge hassle and you'd waste a lot, you have to run a few prints before the color gets completely out of the lines.</p>

<p>It used to be you could get the printer as a refurb for $140, I'm not sure if that can be found anymore. I did that when I needed to do prints of some architectural work in high quality B&W matte, and already had an R800 for color work, so considering that the printer came with $100 work of ink I would have eventually bought anyway it was a good deal.</p>

<p>Apart from those already mentioned, you could also look at any of the HP printers that use a photo grey cartridge. These will print lovely, neutral B+W prints with the minimum of fuss. You are not restricted to HP papers, for example the Ilford range of papers (with the exception of the gold fibre) work very nicely.</p>

<p>More "professional" level printers like the Epson 2400 and 2880, Canon Pro9500 and HP B9180 all produce excellent B+W output, and can print up to A3+.</p>

<p>Every printer and ink combination that I've seen and tried shifts color depending on lighting, even prints made only with black ink only. Some just very slightly, others very strongly. Drove me nuts. Probably because the ink sits on the paper, or might just be the nature of ink. I was showing some of my prints to a LF, darkroom printing, photographer and he saw it right away. I gave up and finally bought the equipment to set up a small darkroom. The end of non black and white prints.</p>

<p>Ive noticed that a lot of the info on the web on this subject was probably true a few years ago (special B&W inks etc) but technology has moved on. Even darkroom produced prints had their stong and weak points, for example RC prints on Ilford multigrade always looked as though the image was "printed on top" and this effect is less on some modern high cost inkject papers that have an absorbant top layer.<br>

Since a lot of this is subjective its probably best to hook up with a photographer who produces B&W prints that you like the look of then copy their techical approach.</p>

<p>I agree with Tony on his "...a lot of the info on the web on this subject was probably true a few years ago (special B&W inks etc) but technology has moved on...". I started with an Epson 2000...pure crap compared to darkroom prints. 7 years later I bought an Epson 4800...incredible B&W prints.</p>

<p>The key here is Epson's K3 inks (which I beleive all their printers from the 2400 and up (in model number....ie....2400, 3800....9800) utilize), their B&W mode, and high quality paper. I use Museo Silver Rag for my B&W prints. Take a trip to Calumet if you have one nearby. You'll be amazed at the quality of the final prints.</p>

<p>I only have experience with the Epson printers. Even though their 2000 was a disappointment for me, when I decided to give digital prints another try, I took a look at what the better digital print labs were using...and it was mostly epson printers using K3 inks. That was enough to sell me...plus a trip to Calumet to see a print for myself....and bought it.</p>