Recommend a Point & Shoot

<p>My girlfriends panasonic lumix 4MP P&S fell and no longer functions(the zoom lens is not functioning and can be heard shaking around). Its long been discontinued and would probably cost a lot to get fixed, if anyone would.<br>

The criteria are as follows (in no particular order):<br>

1. 100$ range, no more than 140$<br>

2. preferably SD memory but also CF<br>

3. standard ps zoom range is fine, like 28-180mm ish<br>

4. no less than 4mp<br>

5. fairly compact, nothing bulky like a mini DSLR<br>

6. quality optics</p>

<p>we're also looking for these features:<br>

1. image stabilization<br>

2. option for advanced feature set like manual/shutter/ap modes, hotshoe<br>

3. quality hard underwater housing that won't break the bank (100$ range)</p>

<p>I was thinking about a old Canon G3 or G5 but I'm biased since I use a canon dslr. The PS world is vast and I havnt been paying attention to it; please help!</p>

<p>Ah sorry I didn't mean in addition to SD also CF but that SD is preferred but CF is ok.</p>

<p>I know no camera meets all criteria however the first set of points are not too difficult to find in one package.<br>

I think the lack of IS won't be too bad on the G2-3-5 though since theyre not very long and fairly fast. My girlfriend didn't notice much benefit from the stabilization on her camera, perhaps because they technology is not very good or because she rarely shot at the long end.<br>

Is stabilization a big improvement over the G5?</p>

With SD instead of CF you have 23 choices. Here is the <a href="http://dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php?search=1&manSearch=0&resSearch=0&lcdSearch=0&storageSearch=0&priceSearch=0&cameraTypeSearch=1&zoomSearch=0&lcdTypeSearch=0&batterySearch=0&flashSearch=Y&manCtrlSearch=Y&stabSearch=Y&popSearch=Y&submit.x=39&submit.y=11">database search</a> for you to narrow down. A used G7 is a good bet and should sell for < $200. It didn't have RAW so it was not as popular as the G9.

<p>Thanks for all the input.<br>

Apparently Canon did not make made a casing for the 590 but its predecessor the 570, the wd-dc12 but its not upwards compatible. the only hard casing for the 590 is by ikealite and costs quite a bit.<br>

Skimming some reviews I don't see much difference between the 590 and the 570; are there any major points of concern?<br>

Also my girlfriend expressed concern about using AA batteries though we have 2600mAh rechargeables. Would we see a huge difference against a Li-ion powered cameras?</p>

<p>There is very little difference between the A570 and A590 except for the upgraded face recognition and a little bump in resolution from 7.1 to 8 MP. The AA batteries are fine. I've used up only one set of Lithium AA and have just started a second, at over 700 exposures.</p><div>00TE9B-130343584.thumb.jpg.b26c00f72b2aa330ca8b07954e355809.jpg</div>

Most people use rechargeable NiMH batteries for AA. I strongly recommend Sanyo Eneloop or Ray-o-Vac Hybrid because they retain a charge for years, unlike other NiMH batteries. NiMH is more affected by cold temperature than Li-Ion, which is affected as well. Li-Ion is more compact, a tradeoff for greater expense. Single-use Lithium AA is not cheap.

<p>Difference you'll see using a camera that takes 2 AA's will be most notable in flash recharge. That is almost universally reported to be slower in the 2 AA cameras than it is in those using lithium ion batteries.</p>

<p>Agree that the Eneloop batteries seem to hold a charge longer -- not sure about <em>years</em> though. :)</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Personally I am on the lookout for a used Canon A610. It uses SD, is DIGIC II, has a decent 4x optic zoom, uses 4 AA's, is 5 MP so noise is controlled, has a very hand flip and tilt screen, no IS though. It uses the WP-DC90 waterproof housing. Reviews are very favourable even against model with higher MP count where the A610 wins on noise control.</p>

<p>Canon is the leader in P&S. I have owned the Canon Powershots A80, A95, A620 and A650IS. I have passed on all but the 650 to relatives. What I like about them. They all use four AA batteries. Put lithiums in them and they last forever. They all have flexible LCDs. They all have optical viewfinders. The 620 and 650 are very grippable, unlike the G9 and G10. They have enough mass to damp out my old age shakes, for the most part. But let's be clear. These are not credit card thin cameras that will fit in a shirt pocket. But they fit just fine in a jacket or vest pocket. When I went on a Danube river cruise last November, my Nikon D200 stayed at home (too bulky) but my A650IS did just fine as did my wife's A620. My only gripe is that they don't go to 28mm equiv at the wide end. They are great take anywhere cameras.</p>

<p>I agree. Canon makes good point-and-shoot cameras, especially the Powershot series which boasts of superb quality (they may not be as stylish as the IXUS series or that Sony counterpart). I agree with most of the people suggestion... a Canon Powershot 590is is a great buy, considering your budget. Best bang-of-the-buck choice.<br>

Cheers!<br>

<em>Captain Kimo</em></p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Hey, just as a follow up we bought a Canon A570 IS. The flash recycle didn't seem too bad off some batteries just out of the charger, but the flash won't be used much anyways.</p>

<p>The ability to use a hard case underwater housing made me choose the older A570 over the A590; warranty be damned.</p>

<p>I found it, used only a few times, for 126$ shipped. Everything seems to be in like new condition. Included was:<br /> hp photosmart 475 printer, case, with ink x2 and paper,<br /> 2x 2gig sd<br /> camera case<br /> manfrotto monopod<br /> all manuals and cables</p>

<p>All in all a pretty good deal I think, I'll use the monopod and the printer will be useful for informal snapshot printing.</p>