Suggestions for shooting people in front of fireworks

<p>I may be booking my first solo wedding soon and the bride and groom would like a shot of them kissing with fireworks going off in the background. Can anyone help me with the following questions?<br>

How do I light this shot so that the couple is visible without washing out the fireworks?<br>

What kind of shutter speed should I use?<br>

I'll be shooting with a Canon Rebel XTi and using either the 18-55 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens that came with it or the Canon 50 mm f/1.4 USM prime. Tripod of course and any recommendations on other lens options, distance, lighting, shutter, etc. will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!</p>

<p>Do you want the fireworks to appear fairly in-focus, or a soft background for the shot. You'll have to shoot a slow shutter speed to get the fireworks (4-6 seconds), and use flash to get the couple. The flash should be diffused or bounced so it isn't too harsh. It would be a tricky shot, but do-able.</p>

<p>Are these arial fireworks or on the ground behind them? Assuming they're ground based, I'd use either lens at f/8-f/11 with the shutter set to ~5 seconds and the flash on 2nd curtain, ISO 200. You may need to adjust but that's where I'd start. Make sure the couple stays fairly still during the exposure (so they don't create shadows in the pyrotechnics behind them). Which lens you use depends on the approach you're looking for. You could use the 50mm f/1.4 to create blurry sparkles and light streams in the background with the couple focused in the fore (using the flash as described above). There are many ways to do it but if you need a wider FoV then you'll have to use the 18-55.</p>

<p>What sort of flash are you using?</p>

I have never done this but ...

For fireworks the usual formula is ISO 100, f/8, with 4 sec shutter on bulb release and tropod.I would worry about the logistics.Are the fireworks being provided for the reception or will this be a public display? Usually the fireworks are high at a 30 to 45 degree angle in the sky from the viewing public. You would need to have the bride and groom standing on a table with you crouching down to get them and the fireworks in the frame. If the fireworks are in the far distance that wouldn't be a problem. The usual way I see photos like this is with distant fireworks and the bride and groom full length 20 or 30 feet from the camera. At that distance, motion blur of the bride and groom will be minimal if using ambient light.

At a 4 second exposure there should be enough ambient light to do the job, unless they are out in a really dark field. Then you would have to use flash. I would use one stop less flash to keep them from appearing too light for the scene. If they are close to the camera, head to waist shot, Then you have to use flash to freeze motion blur, but at 4 second expose you might still get ghosting blur if there is enough ambient light.

Do a Google Images search for "bride fireworks" and you will get a few hits to see how others have done it.

James G. Dainis

"Do a Google Images search for "bride fireworks" and you will get a few hits to see how others have done it."

Would be more correctly:

Do a Google Images search for "bride fireworks" and you will get a few hits to see how others have composed it.

I would go to the site beforehand at night where the photos are to be taken to check out the ambient light and try some long exposure shots of subjects.You are using a digital camera so you can check the results right off.

James G. Dainis

<p>Expose for the fire works with your shutter speed. Some have suggested 4 seconds, which is where I would start. You then need to light your couple. Set your f/stop to expose for the couple- if your flash is putting out an f/8, set your exposure to 4 seconds at f/8. As Jeff suggested, I would go with rear-sync (which means the flash fires at the end of the exposure, not the beginning).Do note though if there is any ambient light falling on your couple, you'll have to compentsate for that, because at 4 seconds, that light will be recorded. </p>

<p>Wow, thanks for the great responses. <br>

Nathan, I think it's okay if the fireworks are a little soft but with good streaks so they're easily recognizable as fireworks.<br>

Jeff, I don't know whether they will be arial or ground works but I can find out and go from there. I wasn't sure what you were referring to about having the flash on 2nd curtain. Can you elaborate? (thanks!) I will be using a Canon 580 ex II speedlight flash.<br>

James, Thanks for the tips regarding distance and motion blur as well as the Google suggestion. the couple will be in a field without much (if any) ambient light.<br>

Rene, what were your ideas about off-camera flash? I do have lights I can take with me but wasn't sure how those might affect the fireworks.<br>

Jen, thanks for the suggestion on f/stop and shutter speeds. <br>

I know the groom's mother and since the wedding will be at her home, I will see if I can do some test shots before the big day and get more comfortable with it. This job feels pretty challenging but I think I need to challenge myself in order to grow as a photographer. Thanks again for all of your suggestions. It's great to have a forum like this where everyone is so helpful!</p>

<p>Do the search, as suggested above, and you'll find lots of info. However, I will say that this kind of shot is challenging no matter what level of proficiency you have. I would back things up by shooting the two elements separately and combining in Photoshop. In the 'real' shots, should you pull it off successfully, the probability is that the fireworks won't be 'perfect', or tack sharp.</p>