ES-E1 link software

chad_hoelzel1

<p>This probably dates me but I have misplaced my ES-E1 link software and when I download the newer update from Canon it asks for the CD and won't install. Does anyone know of a place other then having to deal with Canon directly where I can download the software and burn it to CD so I can install the newer update. Thanks for your help.</p>

<p>What Canon does with most of their software is to put an entry in the Windows Registry. The update setup program then looks for a previous installation. If it can't find one it asks for the original CD-ROM. The setup program then looks on the CD-ROM for a particular file or volume name or something like that.</p>

<p>The registry key will look something like this:<br>

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Canon\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.3.0</p>

<p>If someone who has the original version installed could look in their registry and see what the key looks like, you could try creating it in your registry and see if that helps.<br>

Why Canon protect this software when you need their cable to use it, I do not know.</p>

<p>Henry</p>

<p>If you've lost the original install disc Canon put's barriers in your way. They expect you to come to them for a replacement disc, and there is a charge for this, not too much. The software they supply for download are all technically upgrades, and all these installs look for evidence of previous install before they will work. Alternately, there are hacks to write to the registry so that the "uprade" software will be happy.</p>

<p>Canon like has a reason for doing this, but it's a frustration.</p>

<p>I no longer have an EOS-1V, but I retain the software so as to be able to access the data from when I used the camera. The registry entry for the later version is at</p>

<p>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CANON\EOS LINK ES-E1\1.3.0</p>

<p>and this contains a single unset and unnamed placeholder key of type REG_SZ. The registry entry for the earlier version is similarly at 1.1.0. Also below EOS LINK ES-E1 is REMOTE and below that are CF and PF each containing two REG_SZ keys, one unset and unnamed and the other named PATH and with value the path to the CF or PF information as appropriate, typically</p>

<p>C:\Program Files\Canon\EOS LINK ES-E1\CFn Combination</p>

<p>Probably if you create the 1.1.0 key, the updater will believe that the original version is installed and will work and set up anything else that is needed.</p>

• 2 weeks later...