Equipment recommendations for Tuscany - my experience

henrik_lauridsen

<p>Just returned from a week in Tuscany, Italy, I thought I would summarize my experience in terms of photography and equipment. I hope it is useful.<br /> My equipment consisted of :<br /> <br /> Canon 400D<br /> Tamron 17-50 f/2.8<br /> Canon EF 70-200 f/4L (non IS)<br /> Canon EF 50 f/1.8<br /> Manfrotto monopod<br /> Bag - Lowepro Slingshot 200AW<br /> <br /> We focused on visiting the Tuscan hill towns (Siena, Montepulciano, Cortona, Pitigliano) as well as a lot of driving on the scenic country roads. Photography-wise, my goal was to get some good shots from our vacation, and especially some good landscape shots. I also wanted to get some good street candids of the locals, but they turned out to be quite camera shy, so I quickly dropped that idea. <br /> <br /> The wast majority of my keepers was shot with the 17-50. It was wide enough, and fast enough for all occasions, but it would have been nice with a bit more reach. I envy the full frame people and their 24-105 f/4's. For this kind of travel, that would be the ideal lens. On a crop sensor, the extra wide angle between 17 and 24mm would be missed. If Canon made a 17-85 f/4 IS I would go for that :-)<br /> <br /> I love my 70-200 f/4, but I ended up leaving it back at the Agriturismo more than once. I has its uses for some landscape shots, but mostly it was just extra weight in the bag. For those not familiar with the Tuscan hill towns, sightseeing involves a lot of up-hill walking, so equipment weight eventually becomes an issue.<br>

By the way, if you want good landscape photo opportunities, take the SP 438 road from Siena through Le Crete in the afternoon (and hope for sun, I took a few shots in the morning, then went back in the afternoon, when the rain started). <br /> <br /> I did not use the 50mm, since we did not visit any museums where a fast lens was needed. However, I would still bring it just in case.<br /> <br /> The bag - The slingshot is good when lightly loaded (ie just the body and the 17-50). Stuffed with equipment and guidebooks it becomes a burden, as the weight is unevenly distributed (nature of the slingshot type bags). Next time, I would bring a more traditional style backpack (e.g. Computrekker), if I want to lug all my equipment around. <br /> <br /> The monopod - used it a few times, it stayed in the trunk of the car most of the time. Not essential. <br /> <br /> Henrik <br /></p>

<p>I'm going to Greece next week and am interested in your travel experience re. equipment. I have a large selection of lenses and am torn between two of them. I will definitely bring the 50 f1.4 and the 70-200 f2.8 but can't decide between the 14-24 f2.8 and the 24-70 f2.8. Which would you choose? I have a D700 which has an internal flash, would you also bring flash that goes on top?<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Don - Yes, a corkscrew, and a healthy appetite.<br>

Edward - I monopod was what I had, and it worked well for me. I tripod would probably have worked a bit better.<br>

Bueh - Why would I be kidding? Let me rephrase my request - I would like a fixed aperture EF-S lens with IS, that would correspond to the 24-105 f/4 IS. A 17-85 f/4 would more than fit the bill</p>

<p>Shal - I have not been to Greece, but I can imagine that you would find the same narrow passage-ways and streets in Greek villages. D700 is full frame, right? Then the 24-70 should be fine for most shots (equal to my 17-50) . In Tuscany, some of the churches and other landmark buildings where situated in small squares, where my lens wasn't wide enough, but other than that it worked fine. Anyway, the perspective is usually wrong (shooting upwards), so I do not miss these shots :-).<br>

I did not miss having a flash, I don't think I used the internal flash at all.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Let me rephrase my request - I would like a fixed aperture EF-S lens with IS, that would correspond to the 24-105 f/4 IS. A 17-85 f/4 would more than fit the bill</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So you are aware of the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM but the variable aperture is the only dealbreaker for? I had this lens and while I am absolutely not a zoom lens fan, it is a pretty good and versatile lens. The IS and AF are top-notch, but the overall handling (front-heavy zoom!) and slow aperture (even f/4 is very slow if you are used to primes) were dealbreakers for me. But for a one-lens travel scenario it makes a lot of sense.</p>

<p>I'm going in September and am taking a 35mm f/3.5, 55mm f/2.8, and a 110mm f/2.8.</p>

<p>Oh, I should mention the lenses are for a Mamiya M645 1000s medium format camera and they translate to a 22mm, 34mm, and 72mm lenses on a full frame 35mm camera.</p>

• 1 year later...

<p>@Martine - Yes, I would recommend bringing a tripod, especially if you have a car. I have been to Tuscany an additional two times since the original post, and I have had a tripod in the trunk of the car on both trips. I have not used it inside towns, as streets tend to be narrow, and you will be in other peoples way. But in the countryside a tripod is essential for landscape shots. And there are plenty of opportunities for those in Tuscany.<br>

When walking around in towns, I have the camera ready to use, around my neck. I have never encountered problems doing that.</p>