Las Vegas Area early May-recommendations for landscape photography?

nick_r

<p>Hey,<br>

I am taking a trip to Las Vegas in early May, and will have 4 days, May 4th-8th, which I would like to spend at some lanscape locale before my trip back from Vegas. I've been to Red Rock and Valley of Fire multiple times, and hiked down to Havasu falls years and years ago. I was wondering what people recommended? <br>

Initially I was planning on spending 4 days at Zion, but then it started looking like this time period is the edge of acceptable in Death Valley? Would people recommend two days at Death Valley and two days at Zion? 3 days at Zion, 1 day at Bryce? Stick to the initial plan and just go to Zion?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I am biased. I love Zion and Bryce. I visit them anytime I can. The scenery and light is more interesting IMHO. If you are that close and you have never been to Zion then you will find it a worthwhile adventure.</p>

<p>You might also consider Duck Creek, Red Canyon (Utah) and Cedar Breaks.</p>

<p>You've got three excellent destinations there, and 4 days may not be enough. It depends on how much detail you want to get into at each place.<br>

Death Valley in early May will be hot but not unbearable - probably 100-105, "but it's a dry heat." The dryness counts - the comfort level for 100 degrees and little humidity versus 100 degrees with Dixie humidity is extraordinary. And I think it would be a shame to be so close to DV and not see it, but that's my not-so-humble opinion. I suggest you not plan on doing a lot of hiking (because of the heat) but you should be able to see most of the sites in a day. It's a 2.5 hour drive from Vegas to Furnace Creek or to Stovepipe Wells (where the dunes are). In one day you can see the dunes, Salt Creek, Badwater, Zabriski Point, Artist's Pallette (the best IMHO). Trying to get up to Scotty's Castle at the north end will probably require a second day.<br>

Zion Canyon is 3.5 hours from Vegas. The canyon is the kind of place that you can spend as much time as you care to. The trams run frequently and are an effective way to move up and down the Canyon. There's plenty of hiking if that's your preference, with 2 of the best anywhere - the Narrows and Angel's Landing. (Neither is for amateurs.) <br>

Bryce is another favorite of mine, and it's the kind of place that you can see and shoot fairly well in a half day if you are short of time. The rock formations and their colors are unique - it's another place that I put in the category of being a shame to be close by and not see it. Figure a 2 hour drive from Zion up to Bryce, and being there for sunset is magic - the low sun angle make some of the hoodoos seem to glow and turn nearly transparent. It's something you just have to see to appreciate.<br>

Anyway, my plan for a 4-day visit would be day 1 in Death Valley, day 2 head to Zion Canyon (with sunset), day three in Zion (with a sunrise) and go to the high country above the canyon (thru the tunnel) in the morning, and then on to Bryce in the afternoon/sunset (and drive back to Springdale for the night). Then you have day 4 sunrise in Zion again and can choose whether to spend the rest of the day in the canyon or go around to the Kolob Canyon part of the park (higher elevation, excellent scenery, less crowded) before leaving.<br>

If you's p[refer to spend more time at any of the locations, choosing which to drop will be a hard choice - they are all great places - each is worth a trip by itself. Whether you expect to get back out this way again will probably be a factor in your decision. Have fun!</p>

<p>I'd do a couple of days each in Bryce and Zion. I've been to DV at that time of year and whilst the temperature was about bearable the fact is that with a high sun and glare all but the beginning and ends of the day were pretty useless for photography IMO and so there's a big fairly useless gap in the middle of the day which is frustrating.</p>

<p>Contrary to Bob's view, I've always found Bryce best early in the morning, for the amphitheatre faces east and it catches the first dawn light making the hoodoos look red and sometimes almost transparent. I haven't seen late afternoon low light hit the amphitheatre, but then whilst I've been there a few times I haven't been everywhere at all times of day. I've found that shooting from the rim in late spring is pretty much over by breakfast and after that its a walk through the amphitheatre. My own suggestion is to drive to Cedar Breaks in the afternoon from Bryce and catch the late light there in a west -facing amphitheatre, but its 10 000 feet almost and it would be best to check that the roads are open. You could even visit Cedar Breaks on the way between Zion and Bryce , arriving at the latter late having planned your sunrise spot at Bryce.</p>

<p>Incidentally, whatever of the several Bryce overlooks you tend to be on at dawn, get there early- the place is busy and if you turn up two minuteds before sunrise you could well be trying to poke your lens between other photographers. </p>

<p>I like Zion but to me, there isn't four days worth there at that time of year. unless I want to spend a lot of time walking for walkings sake rather than on photography. Winter or autumn would be different. So I'd definitely split your time between Zion and another. </p>

<p> </p><div>00TBXQ-128795784.jpg.4f6fdb89709a3f29ecde60d440b317b1.jpg</div>

<p>Red Rock Canyon about 15 minutes out of Las Vegas is a good spot, but its gotten much more popular with tourists in the past few decades. Still you should be able to find something interesting there to shoot. </p>

<p>Best,</p>

<p>Chuck</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thanks for all the help. I am back now and had a good time, not nearly enough time at the parks. Ended up at Zion and Bryce, had to deal with a change of plans so couldn't make it to Death Valley as I had planned.</p>

<p>I found getting places for sunrise at this time of year is a bit tricky at Zion as the mandatory shuttle doesn't start running until 6:45, after the sun is already up. Later in the summer the shuttle starts at 5:45 which might be better. I would say the thijng to do is to drive to the museum or Canyon Junction, depending on where you want to shoot. The view from the museum was quite nice. I think Court of the Patriarchs would be pretty at sunrise, and I think it's close enough to Canyon Junction. If you don't have a bike, I think it would be hard to get down to the Temple of Sinawava for sunrise. Not sure you'd necessarily want to, though. </p>

<p>I thought the main area of Zion got into shadows farily early in the afternoon, and I think the Kolob Canyon area was more impressive at sunset. Bryce was amazing..</p>