Price for Proofs

<p>I apologize if I missed this question elsewhere,but I have searched high and low and can't seem to find an answer.<br>

When selling the proofs, do you sell them at "face value" (ie. a 2.5x3.5 print sells for x dollars) and just charge that for each? Or is there a "group discount" for all of them?<br>

I have a client who wanted all proofs and when she saw the price for 61 of them she freaked out. I had given her a 10% discount on them, and now she no longer wants all of them. I think she was expecting to get them for a song and dance. That's fine, but the discount will not apply if she does not get all of them.<br>

Thoughts?<br>

Melissa</p>

<p>Usually when I'm selling all the pictures to the customer I provide them with a base price for all proofs. If they only want some, then I will individually price each photo.<br>

<em>Nina Spielberg</em></p>

<p>I use a variable pricing scheme.</p>

<p>My intent is to compensate me for my time and expertise. If I am individually retouching 61 prints, then I would be inclined to give a small discount for that quantity. If I am printing the 61 files as they have already been prepped for proofs with no additional work on my part, I would give a substantial discount for 61. (I've sold proof sets in the past for $1 per print with the stipulation that all proofs are included. I only make proof sets available for purchase once a certain threshold of finished prints have been purchased. These days, my customers are much more likely to want digital files than actual proof prints.)</p>

<p>I sell my least expensive print (4x6 or 5x7) for $25. Even then, I'm just barely covering expenses and overhead if somebody orders just one. If I don't have additional work to do (i.e. additional copies of the same print, or multiple "proof" prints), then my price goes down drastically with quantity. For example, an order of 100 finished 4x6 prints would be $100. One would be $25.</p>

<p>I want my quantity pricing to be competitive enough so that somebody doesn't order one print, and then scan and make inferior prints. I'd rather they have the quality I can deliver at a fair price than try to make an exhorbitant profit on the entire run.</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Eric</p>

<p>I keep the price of my proofs low but they are binded, textured, and have a logo on them so that making copies of them is more difficult. I try to keep the logo out of the way but make it so that if they try to chop off the logo they chop off important parts of the image. Most people I deal with would rather see digital proofs for free than pay $100 for a proof book with 15-20 4x6 images. Just my thoughts.</p>

<p>Paper proofs have always been the professional photographer's "curse" which is why I went toatally proofless in 1995 and have never considered going back. Regardless of what you charge, they destroy your order. If you use them and refuse to sell or include them, you will alienate a number of your clients. If you charge to much, they will try to deal and ask "what are you going to do with them if you don't sell or give them to me?" When I eliminated paper proofs, I eliminated this obstacle between me and my clients.<br>

If you're going to use them, my best advice is to use them to increase sales, not destroy your sales. Price them high and offer a sliding scale based on ADDITIONAL purchases. The more they spend, the lower the price on the proofs with them perhaps being FREE with a very large order....-Aimee</p>

<p>Melissa,<br>

Ah,the downside of taking pictures...Raise the discount to 12% and tell her that you would just love to give her the proofs for free but--oh,that's right--you're running a business and gee,you like living indoors and eating real food...maybe,she wants the prints and proofs for a song and dance but you're the 'Musician' and she has to pay for the tune. Creativity aside--you're a businesswoman right? If she doesn't see it your way then tell her the proofs will be for free and ante up the amount of the pictures and she can have the proofs if she buys the prints....sounds about right to me.</p>