Camden, Maine - interesting locations?

john_bald

<p>Any off-the-beaten-path recommendations for good shooting locations in the Camden, Maine area? I've

shot there a few times but I'd like to discover some new spots.<br>

The towns I'm thinking of are Camden, Lincolnville, Rockport, Rockland and Owls Head.<br>

P.S. I'm especially interested in sunrise locations!<br>

Thanks,<br />John</

<p >I’ve received some good ideas from other photographers, too. Here are some I’ll be trying out…</p>

<p > </p>

<p ><a href="http://www.merryspring.org/">www.merryspring.org</a> - <strong>Merryspring,</strong><strong> </strong>a non-profit, privately-owned 66-acre park and education center in Camden and Rockport, Maine, with nature trails and gardens open to the public every day free of charge. This member-supported organization offers talks, classes and workshops throughout the year.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Birch Point Beach State Park, off Rte 73, below South Thomaston, Maine<br /><br /></p>

<p >A photographer-friend who has traveled the backroads of Maine extensively (he works for CMP, the Maine power company) sent me this tip "might suggest some of the side roads on the back side of Camden Hills State Park. Less traffic - Rtes. 235 - 105, to the town of Hope, Maine - lots of farms - rolling hills - quiet roads, but with lots of hills and curves."</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Moose Point State Park: On U.S. Route 1 between Belfast and Searsport. Open Memorial Day to Sept 30<sup>th</sup>. 183 acres with hiking trails, tidal pools, panoramic view of Penobscot Bay.</p>

<p > </p>

<p >Aldermere Farms: Home of the original U.S. herd of Belted Galloways, a breed of Scottish beef cattle first imported in 1953 and locally known as the “Oreo Cookie Cows.” The 136-acre farm is owned and managed by Maine Coast Heritage Trust, a statewide land conservation organization. The Trust maintains Aldermere as a working farm and educational center. <strong>Aldermere Farm, </strong>70 Russell Avenue, Rockport, ME 04856<br /><a href="http://www.aldermere.org/">www.aldermere.org</a></p>

<p > </p>

<p>I would reinforce the suggestion about Fort Knox. The last time we were there, however, we did encounter an impediment to photography. I made a point of getting there early in the morning to avoid the crowds so that I would feel more comfortable using my 4x5, but the person selling admission was interested in photography, and I though she would never stop talking and let me actually make some pictures!</p>

<p>We like wandering down some of the back roads to the coast to find small fishing villages - great photographic opportunities in some of those places. Port Clyde is nice early in the morning (that's the place where you get the ferry to Monhegan), and the lighthouse there is interesting (have a print hanging just above my computer monitor). </p>

<p>For sunrise, my choices would be either Owl's Head Light, or if its foggy, the Rockland Town Pier.</p>

<p>The Maine Photographic Workshop (or whatever it's called this year) is another interesting place to visit. They have a nice gallery and store in Rockport.</p>

<p>Be sure to get to the Farnsworth Museum in Rockland. When we were last there, they had some fabulous Wyeth paintings on display that were inspiring to me. Also, the Olson House is nearby and is a nice place to visit.</p>

<p>And for a change of pace, visit the winery in Camden - the wines are quite good!</p>

<p>If you're going off to Maguntacook (sp?) anyway, you might as well keep trucking inland and check out Appleton Ridge - incredible views from there. Always a favorite of mine. Also no one has mentioned the Stone Wedding Chapel, I lived in Camden as a kid and can't quite remember how to get to it but ask when you're there- it's pretty well known and worth the trip. You'll love Owl's head light, it has paths on both sides so you can get great shots from nearly all around, and I totally agree with the simple and often overlooked Rockland Pier. The whole area up there is just a fun place to have gear with you because there are great opportunities at every turn. Enjoy!</p>