Fix or replace?

notso bad

<p>I have to choose between repairing my 20D for $300 or so, versus buying a new 50D (or 40D) I might consider used or refurbished, but I like the security of a warranty. (at least for the 1st year)<br>

After 4 years my 20D seems to have an electronic problem causing corrupt files (intermittently, but getting much worse) I like the camera, but...<br>

I am thinking of repairing it and eventually getting a 60D (or whatever) that has video capability, though I am not sure if it would be more useful to me for planned family video snippets compared with having a digital P&S in my pocket. Alternatively, I could save the repair cost and buy a new 50D now.<br>

The main reason I am thinking of upgrading is for the megapixels. I like to make occasional large prints, 20x30 in, and actually have one 30x40. These are on watercolor paper or canvas, and are of subjects that are more forgiving (flower closeups, beach scenes with a lot of sand and sky) Of course, the larger LCD, better high ISO, and dust shaking sensor are nice bonus features too.<br>

Have you noticed better quality large prints?<br>

Any comments appreciated.<br>

thanks</p>

<p>I would put the money towards buying another camera. There are so many to choose from... from the relatively inexpensive EOS 30D to the more exclusive 40D and 50D. There is also the option to go for a used EOS 5D and have the full-frame benefits -- printing large is no problem with the 5D as its sensor size (not the stupid megapixels) is twice as large as on APS-C cameras.</p>

<p>I'm in the same situation. My 30d keeps getting errors and I've sent it back twice already at about $150 a pop. Now I'm debating whether I should send it back one last time or upgrade. My boss (I shoot mostly weddings), would prefer me to upgrade to at least a 40d. I need to make a decision rather quickly as there are shoots coming up, but after much researching, I think I'm going for the 40d over the 50d. There's just not enough of an upgrade between the 2 to justify another couple hundred dollars. I shoot the 40d all the time (her body) and it's works great. </p>

<p>Weddings are about all I shoot digital with and we're hard on our gear. It gets bumped around and we take thousands of pictures every week or so. Cameras just don't last as long for us. I would love to get the new 5d, but the price is just too high right now. Maybe when I start using digital for other shoots, but I'm still holding onto film. I would suggest to you the 40d. It's a great camera that's not over-priced and it will be a GIGANTIC jump from your 20d. I don't know about the quality of super enlarged prints, but I regularly do 16x20 with both the 30d and 40d without a problem, so 20x30 should be fine.</p>