<p>How long <em>should</em> they do free phone support for the no longer current version of a product? Not being sarcastic, here. As someone who writes and supports software and supporting systems, I'm always curious to know how the not-software-writers of the world see such things, and how they'd draw the line, and when, and for how much.</p>

<p><em>As someone who writes and supports software and supporting systems, I'm always curious to know how the not-software-writers of the world see such things, and how they'd draw the line, and when, and for how much.</em><br>

<em></em><br>

I would account for the cost of the software (CS3 was no $100.00 program), the date of the release, the date it is sold in relation to when the support ends, how quick the next release was and things of that nature. Customer service/support outsourced to foreign countries with people who just go by canned flow chart responses are a seperate but considered issue. All this is considered against what the competitors and other software companies do. Finally it depends on my needs and degree of vulnerability to problems. Its difficult to say where a line is drawn as it depends on the situation at the time.</p>

<p>Speaking generically, the last CS3 version was apparently released on June 2, 2008. CS4 shipped about October 15, 2008. Considering that CS3 was sold less than a year ago and it costs a fortune, yeah, I'd be unhappy too.</p>

<p>I suppose that the <em>better</em> way to mitigate that situation would be to make the (phone supported) upgrade purchase of CS4 <em>substantially</em> inexpensive so that their army of phone support people - regardless of what continent the're on, and remembering that people all over the world use that product - don't have to have as much in the way of legacy support chops.</p>

<p>It's common practice to discontinue free support when new version of the product released. In network world (my primary occupation) most support is "payed for" except for severe security bug fixes which people could get for free. And amount of money forked for support is rather large. Unlike photo-editing software with only one "current" release, we usually have choice between "mainstream", "early adoption" and "mature" releases. Sooner or later "mature" software reaches End-of-life status (something like 3 years starting from initial public availability) after which further support is limited to only those customers who have running support contract. Even with support contract vendors will often push to update to newer software. So as regards to life cycle approach photoshop isn't different from what happens in other areas. Of course from private user prospective running cost of upgrades/support is rather high, but that's life. If there is anything to complain about is cost of the first purchase and upgrades. If I'd be using software for business purpose I'd have to include regular upgrade costs into pricing model, and if they don't seem viable then something is wrong with the business. For personal use (i.e. not making money) free support as far as patching severe issues seems sufficient to me and the rest I'll have to live without (still using CS2) or rely on Google and online experience sharing.</p>

<p>Well Barry, I don't remember asking you...and since you asked - I do have a problem with your response; if there was a question on how to use the software to get a particular result, or if it was a problem in how the software worked on the computer it is a different story than complaining about customer service. See, some of us are actualling willing to offer help rather than giving smart A** answers or trying to pick a fight with words. Ratrher than continue this dialogue with you, I wish you a happy, full and productive life - very far away from mine... good day sir</p>

<p>j~</p>

<p>Well Barry, I don't remember asking you...and since you asked - I do have a problem with your response; if there was a question on how to use the software to get a particular result, or if it was a problem in how the software worked on the computer it is a different story than complaining about customer service. See, some of us are actually willing to offer help rather than giving smart A** answers or trying to pick a fight with words. Rather than continue this dialogue with you, I wish you a happy, full and productive life - very far away from mine... good day sir</p>

<p>j~</p>

<p>Did you try their on-line support? I've had good luck through that avenue, including limited support with older versions. I don't your problems or questions, but there are alternative sources than directly with Adobe. I only use them when I have issues with their package itself, with the installation, registration, etc. which requires their help.</p>

<p>Well, Ross, U're one lucky "Dude"... After weeks (more than a month) of frustrating dealings with the so called 'Adobe customer support' I would have gladly paid the skimpy $ 39.99 to get QUALIFIED HELP..! Actually Adobe is "screwing" itself by having moved all (..?) support to Asia. Nothing against Asia. But a lot against INCOMPETENCE and LIES..! Elsewhere here I described trouble with Dreamweaver CS3, mainly that the sw hangs every time during "put" of a file that is not in a folder. And as far as I know one can not (for example) place 'Index' in a folder. I got someone on the phone every time I called. Every 'Help Agent' had a different approach. None worked. Hours and hours wasted. Every time I was assured a Level 2 engineer would call me to try and help resolve the issue. From "within an hour" to "could take up to 12 hours". I waited and waited and waited... First, upon advice of a few webmasters, more "in the know" than myself, I resisted a "clean install". Finally I gave in. Re-install neither CLEAN INSTALL made a difference. Even wasted hours of Apple Care at the Genius Bar.<br>

Now: "Did you try their on-line support? I've had good luck through that avenue"... Yes, I did. After many weeks of no reply, finally got the message from a Level 2 engineer, to call him to discuss the issue... Wow..! I called, the number given was the same general support line, no extension or direct #... Got someone who "guaranteed" a call-back by said engineer within the hour. Call never came.<br>

If Adobe doesn't want to lose customers and/or market share, they will have to wake up and come back. As did quite a few other US co's with similar experiences. Just look at Apple, now that's service..! By the way, during all this time of wasted hours and frustration, I tried to contact Adobe in the US to see if there wasn't another Help Line, even if it meant paying. "Try again, Sam"... <br>

Conclusion: Competition never sleeps. More and more products that cut into Adobe's line are to be found in the market place. Greed comes before the fall.</p>