canon 100-400 hand held

prasad_apte

<p>Hi all<br>

thanks for the reply for tripod for 400D and 100-400.<br>

I can't spend $600+ for the best tripod right now. I would prefer to wait and save that money! BUt.. the thing is do you guys think that I can manage to shoot handheld with 100-400 mounted on 400D? is it possible to roam around for a day or two with this beast? (1.4 kg aprx.)<br>

Thanks for the valuable suggetion Mr. G Dan Mitchel! you described the exact condition of my mind. thanks!<br>

anyone shooting with 100-400 handheld? Can you post some of them? <br>

Prasad Apte</p>

<p>I shoot more handheld or monopod with my 100-400 than I do with a tripod. With enough light, IS, and a fast enough shutter speed (ie. 1/320 if you're relatively steady-handed), it's fine... I hike with it all the time, not always with a tripod.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Most people use this lens handheld so just use the fastest possible shutter speed, work on your technique (take a sharpshooter course - no joke!) and seek support if you can find it (railings, benches, ledges, etc.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>possible to roam around for a day or two with this beast? (1.4 kg aprx.)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Beast..? Try walking around with a 7kg rig (400/2.8 + 1D3) or even holding one attached to a monopod for a few hours... The 100-400 feels positively puny!</p>

<p>My standard shutter speed for prop planes is 1/250s and I get a decent number of keepers hand-holding.</p>

<p>My 100-40m almost lives on my 40D and I carry it around all the time (for calibration, I also think the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 are carryable all day - but I agree with Michael that the 400mm f/2.8 is a beast!).</p><div>00T8ru-127383584.jpg.7a060f86987453bdfd4bfcc2542ccc89.jpg</div>

<p>I use the 100-400mm handheld <em>only</em> - I never, ever put it on a tripod - and I'm frequently out and on the move (on foot) for six or eight hours a day, and sometimes for several days at a time, Prasad.</p>

<p>A small selection of very typical examples <a href="http://keithreeder.diinoweb.com/files/mandarin%203f.jpg">here</a> , <a href="http://keithreeder.diinoweb.com/files/mandrill%201f.jpg">here</a> , <a href="http://keithreeder.diinoweb.com/files/mute%20swan%201af.jpg">here</a> and <a href="http://keithreeder.diinoweb.com/files/starling5xf.jpg">here</a> - Exif is in all of them, and like Geoff's my lens lives on my 40D.</p>

<p>I'm not a physically big guy (48 years old, 5 feet 8, and I could probably stand to lose a couple of pounds) and I still carry camera, lens, and a large rucksack full of whatever I might need for a day out - clothing, food and camera gear - without any real problems. I might be a bit stiff in the neck at the end of the day, but I'm always fine and ready to go the next day...</p>

<p>You definitely can handhold this lens/camera, and for some types of shots that may actualy be your best/only option. (I've shot bicycle races and birds in flight this way - though it is possible to use the tripod with the birds sometimes.)</p>

<p>Learn to use the IS. Remember that you'll need to use higher shutter speeds than you may used to - this can put you between the "rock" of large minimum aperture and the "hard place" of needing to raise ISO to get sufficient shutter speed.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>"is it possible to roam around for a day or two with this beast? (1.4 kg aprx.)"</p>

<p>With a packsack style camera bag, no problem. In a shoulder bag: bring along a small packsack as well (always handy). If your shoulder starts hurting, roll the lens into a towel or sweater and transfer to the packsack for a while. It's still accesable, albeit with a little more hassle.</p>

<p>As others have aptly demonstrated, you shouldn't have any problem handholding the 100-400 IS. I often use mine with a lightweight monopod/ballhead which is great for taking the load off your neck on long outings. It's a favorite in my arsenal!</p>

<p>I don't know if you have a grip on your 400D, but I've found that a wrist strap helps a lot when using either the 100-400 or 70-200 f/2.8 IS on my 50D for extended periods of time. Unless I'm doing long exposures, I also find my monopod much more useful than my tripod...</p>

<p>As the others said, it's very hand-holdable and fun to use. Enjoy!</p>

<p>Attached is a recent photo I took of a Swallowtail butterfly. Exposure was 1/640, F7.1, iso 400 at 400mm with a 12mm extension tube. The butterfly was moving to much for a tripod. Even though I cropped it and upped the resolution, the butterfly is still sharp. Yes you can carry it all day but I would recommend a backpack or camera bag so that you can give your arms a rest. </p><div>00T9HX-127639684.JPG.555d8fa32844185b0e5380513eaaa77f.JPG</div>

<p>FWIW, the Lowepro Flipside 200 is a small light backpack that can be configured to take a 350D or similar with the 100-400 mounted. There are probably others.<br>

I also use a neck strap, but with the 100-400 sling it over one shoulder, backwards so that the hotshoe nestles against my ribs. It sits quite comfortably that way and give the arms a break.<br>

One final tip - if you are carrying it for handheld shooting, leave the tripod ring at home/in the car. It can get in the way of a good grip.</p>