canon 135mm f/2 or 70-200mm f/4 IS for crop sensor

mathew_gardella

<p>thanks for the continued input, the debate still goes on but to answer max's question, i shoot with a 24-70L, a tamron 17-50mm and currently an 85mm 1.8... i am just looking to get a little more reach and a little less visible.... i do use flash (580exii) when needed, if allowed....</p>

<p>I have the 135 f2 and the 70-200 f4 (although non-IS). I love the 135 on my Rebel xti (call it 216 if you must). I have an eight year old and it works great for those candid shots. However, I also like my 70-200 f4, though on my 5D (Full-Frame). I tend to use the zoom on hikes or whenever the subject tends to move a lot (like birds, wildlife, etc). I haven't used an IS lens, so I can't comment on it. However, I tend to compensate the for the lack of IS through faster shutter speeds and higher iso settings, sometimes under-exposing the shot and push-process in post if necessary. Both lenses are great, but I get more compliments with the shots using the 135 (on both cameras)...it just seems to capture the moment better. In any case, if I had to choose...it depends. If I had only one body, I'd get the 70-200; otherwise, the 135 is never leaving my bag. Hope this helps!</p>

• 2 months later...