Another wide angle zoom question

mvtol

<p>Anyone tried these lenses? I can't find reviews yet. Don't know if they are already available, but they do sound very interesting. The Tokina costs €530,- and has built-in AF motor drive and the Tamron sells for €399,- also with Built-In-Motor!<br>

Tokina AT-X 12-24 PRO F/4 DX II<br>

http://www.tokinalens.com/products/tokina/atx124prodx2-a.html<br>

or<br>

Tamron SP AF10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di-II LD Aspherical [iF]<br>

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/1024_diII.asp<br>

Or should I stick to my first choise the Sigma 12-24? I'll be using it for landscape and reportage photography most of the time.</p>

<p>adorama had the tokina 12-24 version I for $399-which is a super deal if it's still available. i paid about $500 for mine three years ago. the newer version allegedly has a new coating and will now AF with d40/d60s due to its BIM. i have yet to hear that a micromotor is faster than a screw-drive on the tamron BIMs but maybe the tokinas are different.</p>

<p>if cost is no issue, i might wait for the nikon 10-24, which should have wider availability than the tokina 11-16. but if you need to make a glass purchase right now, i'd try to see if that older tokina 12-24 is still around. i doubt it's that different from the existing lens--more'n'likely, tokina needed to pump the appearance of newness into a thin but generally solid product line--which is fine, since the old lens is perfect for the usage you decide.</p>

<p>the sigma 12-24 has less distortion but that's more of an issue with architectural shooters than landscapists. for me, the inability to use most front filters is a downer, but then i may still be all hot'n'bothered over those singh-ray ND grad examples from their blog i peeped a few weeks back.</p>

<p>at 5.6-8 the toke 12-24 is great and wide open f/4 is pretty good. distortion is evident at 12mm but from 18-24 the tokina rocks, which makes it good for reportage. you cant argue with that build, either.</p>

<p>Martijin, there're a bunch other choices aside from the Tamron 10-24, the sigma 12-24, and the Tokina 12-24. The Sigma 10-20 (both the f/4-5.6 version and the constant f/3.5 version), the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (the only fast lens in this class), and Nikon's new 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 (expensive) are some of the other choices. </p>

<p>The Nikonians website did a review of several different wide angle zooms a while back.....<br>

<a href="http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html">http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html</a><br>

This review prompted me to purchase the Tokina 12-24 f/4.0 as it was half the cost of the Nikon and I couldn't be any happier. The Nikon will be sharper in the corners, but in the center the Tokina seems to be a little sharper according to other reviews I have read. If you want a little wider and shoot in low light conditions, there has been nothing but praise for the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8<br>

As you mentioned, there is a newer Tokina 12-24 with a built in motor - which is only needed if you use a D40/D60. If you do not use one of those cameras, there is no sense in my opinion in buying the BIM Tokina.</p>

<p>Having been bitterly disappointed with the corner image quality of every wide-angle I've ever tried - prime or zoom and for formats from 35mm to 5x4 - I decided to bite the bullet and buy the AFS Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 GN. Wow! I haven't regretted it. It is the BEST ultra-wide on the planet by quite a margin. Although it would probably be wasted on a non full-frame camera.</p>

<p>So if you have any ambition to move up to the full-frame DSLR format (please don't encourage Nikon's use of "FX", that's cine shorthand for effects) then save your money and buy the 14-24 Nikkor. If you don't you'll only be trading up later on.</p>

<p>Before I bought my Tokina 12 - 24 last year I did go through quite a bit of reading on different photo forums.I'm very happy with my decission to get this Tokina.I find it very sharp,nice contrast a it's built like a tank,just a very fine lense for a very good price.I almost never remove it from my camera,it's my main workhorse.Here in Canada I paid around 600$ which is a bargain compare to other glass.</p>